windows remote desktop and tightvnc problems

windows remote desktop and tightvnc problems

Tim Freedom
Hi - are there know issues between windows' remote desktop and tightvnc ?
A remote host has been rebooted which necessitates using windows' remote
desktop in order to login in order to get tighvnc server going.  But it
seems there is an issue with relation to tightvnc and remote desktop as
I can't seem to get the VMCserver to engage (I get prompted for the password
and I authenticate fine but no window appears - the logs look rather innocent
in that a connection is "registered" and later its simply "deregistered"
without any warnings/errors, etc).  Keep in mind that the remote desktop
is used for a very short duration primarily to allow all the services
(aka daemons) among which VNCserver is one, to initiate and start.

Not to point fingers, but ultravnc (server and client) seem to more
consistently work though I much prefer tightvnc. But why ???  Is this
a know issue ?

I'd be more than willing to try/debug/etc anything given some direction
and assistance.

Regards,

 .tf.

RE: windows remote desktop and tightvnc problems

Wall, John
RE: windows remote desktop and tightvnc problems

Hi TF,

From reading these types of messages over the past 12 months it has been gleaned there are issues with Windows Remote Desktop having been run and then trying to use VNC most brands. Usually a black screen or the viewer just doesn't fire up the server.

This has been around for a long time so I wouldn't hold your/our breaths hoping it will ever be fixed. Maybe it can't be fixed i.e. maybe is is sharing software components/memory etc.. that causes the conflict.

If anyone at any of the VNC products can advise their product can resolve the issue lets know.

I use TightVNC for its file transfer capability although I wish it could transfer Directories. Yes I know literally it is a file transfer but it would still be nice to perform a Directory transfer.

Regards.

John

    ----------
[...]

This e-mail and files transmitted with it are privileged and confidential information
intended for the use of the addressee. The confidentiality and/or privilege in this e-mail is
not waived, lost or destroyed if it has been transmitted to you in error. If you received this
e-mail in error you must
(a) not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it;
(b) please notify the Department of Agriculture and Food, WA immediately by return e-mail to the sender;
(c) please delete the original e-mail.

This email has been successfully scanned by
McAfee Anti-Virus software.
Department of Agriculture and Food WA

RE: windows remote desktop and tightvnc problems

James Weatherall-2
Tim,

You don't need to use Remote Desktop to connect in to start VNC Server -
just install VNC Server in Service-Mode and it will automatically start when
the system boots.

Alternatively, VNC Enterprise Edition & Personal Edition servers are Fast
User Switching aware & will also work when Remote Desktop has been used, on
most systems.  See http://www.realvnc.com/download.html.

Regards,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

--- "Wall, John" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> From reading these types of messages over the past 12 months it has been
> gleaned there are issues with Windows Remote Desktop having been run and
> then trying to use VNC most brands. Usually a black screen or the viewer
> just doesn't fire up the server.

If this is indeed a Windows Remote Desktop issue then is it understood
enough to know what is at the crux of this problem ?  In other words,
can one avoid it by disabling an option or a feature or similar ?

> This has been around for a long time so I wouldn't hold your/our breaths
> hoping it will ever be fixed. Maybe it can't be fixed i.e. maybe is is
> sharing software components/memory etc.. that causes the conflict.

Noted, but again it would be nice to at least understand from someone in
the know as to what is really happening and how possibly to address it.
There is plenty of software our there that works _around_ windows' bugs
and nuisances.

--- James Weatherall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You don't need to use Remote Desktop to connect in to start VNC Server -
> just install VNC Server in Service-Mode and it will automatically start when
> the system boots.

This would be great - as I wouldn't have to use Windows' Remote Desktop at
all.  Could you please point me to a doc/URL that notes how to do this ?
I already have VNC Server running as a services but it requires someone to
login before it kicks off and thus the problem.

Thanks again for the prompt replies.

 .tf.

RE: windows remote desktop and tightvnc problems

James Weatherall-2
Hi Tim,

If a VNC server is running in Service-Mode then it starts when the system
starts up and that's that.  It doesn't require anyone to log in before it
runs.

VNC 3 series servers for Windows changed their configuration according to
who was logged on.  TightVNC is based on our VNC 3 series server codebase,
so that could explain what you're seeing.  If that's the case then you could
just upgrade to a VNC 4 series server.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

> --- James Weatherall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > You don't need to use Remote Desktop to connect in to start
> VNC Server
> > - just install VNC Server in Service-Mode and it will automatically
> > start when the system boots.
>
> This would be great - as I wouldn't have to use Windows'
> Remote Desktop at all.  Could you please point me to a
> doc/URL that notes how to do this ?
> I already have VNC Server running as a services but it
> requires someone to login before it kicks off and thus the problem.
>
> Thanks again for the prompt replies.
>
>  .tf.

RE: windows remote desktop and tightvnc problems

James Weatherall-2
Todd,

On some Windows systems the OS can take several minutes to start system
services, which can make it appear that VNC Server isn't being started at
boot-up.  On the other hand, you haven't specified what you mean by "I can
no longer get in", so it's not clear whether the service is failing to
start, or there's some other issue.

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

rtcary
James -

>From the remote client I get "Cannot connect" (or something similar).

Now, the problem could be that "todd" installed the VNC Server (he has Admin rights), however isn't a service owned by the system?

Todd

--
Ariste Software
2200 D Street Ext

RE: windows remote desktop and tightvnc problems

Tim Freedom
--- James Weatherall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If a VNC server is running in Service-Mode then it starts when the system
> starts up and that's that.  It doesn't require anyone to log in before it
> runs.
>
> VNC 3 series servers for Windows changed their configuration according to
> who was logged on.  TightVNC is based on our VNC 3 series server codebase,
> so that could explain what you're seeing.  If that's the case then you could
> just upgrade to a VNC 4 series server.

Thank you James !!  I confirm that RealVNC's version 4 works without the
need for someone to login apriori.  In other words, one is able to remotely
reboot a machine and then immediately login to that same machine once its
up sans the need of any other application -- finally....

Let's hope tightvnc's authors/developers make a quick transition to this
new codebase.

Thanks again and regards,

 .tf.

Re: windows remote desktop and tightvnc problems

Neal Hartgrove
Hmmmmm,

I don't have this problem that you are talking about. (forgive me if I don't have/know all the details of your problem)

I reboot my WinXP boxes all the time from my vncviewer sessions.
I wonder if it is related to the order of which things are getting started up upon a reboot.

Anyway, I use TightVNC server 1.3.9 (on my PCs) and realvnc viewer for linux (VNC viewer for X version 4.0 built 24 Nov 2004).
I do not have access to the server inorder to install a newer viewer on the linux side.

Once my pc comes up from the reboot, I launch vncviewer and am presented with the login screen from the windows xp box. I enter a ctrl-alt-del from the f8 menu and then log in accordingly, the box then starts up fine, bringing up whatever applications and what not.

Tim Freedom wrote:
[...]

Neal Hartgrove     Nortel Networks
Automation Verification Specialist
AT&T Custom Contract Validation
RTPF Lab Manager
Employee Engagement Panel Representative (RTP)
[hidden email]
Phone:(919) 991-8849  ESN 351-8849