vncpasswd and integrating java viewer

dori (Bugzilla)
Hi, I have a couple of questions for the list:

1. Is there a clean way to set the vnc password programmatically (i.e.
without interactive input)? I didn't see any options for this in the
man page of vncpasswd. I suppose I could redirect the input from some
temporary file, but I was wondering if there is a standard way of
doing this that's accepted by developers.

2. Can someone point me to some documentation on how I could integrate
the tightvnc java viewer into my own website? I would like if possible
to have a way to automatically log in a user too.

Thanks,
Dori

Re: vncpasswd and integrating java viewer

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello Dori,

> Hi, I have a couple of questions for the list:
>
> 1. Is there a clean way to set the vnc password programmatically
> (i.e. without interactive input)? I didn't see any options for this
> in the man page of vncpasswd. I suppose I could redirect the input
> from some temporary file, but I was wondering if there is a standard
> way of doing this that's accepted by developers.

Here is a quote from man vncpasswd:

OPTIONS
[...]
       -f     Filter mode. Read plain-text passwords from  stdin,
              write  encrypted  versions  to  stdout.  One or two
              passwords (full-control and view-only) can be  sup-
              plied  in  the  input  stream, newline terminates a
              password.  Note that in the filter mode,  short  or
              even empty passwords will be silently accepted.

> 2. Can someone point me to some documentation on how I could
> integrate the tightvnc java viewer into my own website? I would like
> if possible to have a way to automatically log in a user too.

See the README file from the TightVNC Java Viewer package, sections
"Installation" and "Parameters" (PASSWORD).

On 11/11/07, Constantin Kaplinsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Dori,

> > Hi, I have a couple of questions for the list:
> >
> > 1. Is there a clean way to set the vnc password programmatically
> > (i.e. without interactive input)? I didn't see any options for this
> > in the man page of vncpasswd. I suppose I could redirect the input
> > from some temporary file, but I was wondering if there is a standard
> > way of doing this that's accepted by developers.
>
> Here is a quote from man vncpasswd:
>
> OPTIONS
> [...]
>        -f     Filter mode. Read plain-text passwords from  stdin,
>               write  encrypted  versions  to  stdout.  One or two
>               passwords (full-control and view-only) can be  sup-
>               plied  in  the  input  stream, newline terminates a
>               password.  Note that in the filter mode,  short  or
>               even empty passwords will be silently accepted.

In my defense so I don't look like a complete idiot, Ubuntu installed
vnc-common (along with tightvncserver), which contains realvncpasswd,
which doesn't contain this flag. I guess I have to get the right tool.

Thanks for the info

Dori