vnc/ssh tunnel problems - works but slow in mandriva 2007.1

vnc/ssh tunnel problems - works but slow in mandriva 2007.1

BabaG
well, i finally got a connection but it's incredibly slow and i have
a question about how i did it. since i've never once seen this mentioned
in a guide, and since i barely know what i'm doing, i thought i should
ask.

config i'm using is that from this guide:

http://www.allthingsmarked.com/2006/08/17/how-to-set-up-a-windows-ssh-server-for-vnc-tunneling/

in putty, selecting the option under ssh--->tunnels for 'local ports
accept connections from other hosts' immediately got me the connection
i'd only gotten in vista until now. since this option is unselected by
default and since it sounds dangerous i figured i'd ask about it. i
did not have to select it when connecting under vista. is this the right
thing to do or have i somehow bypassed something and left myself
vulnerable?

the other thing is that i get this in my terminal when i connect this
way:

VNC server supports protocol version 3.8 (viewer 3.3)
VNC authentication succeeded
Desktop name "d200"
Connected to VNC server, using protocol version 3.3
VNC server default format:
  32 bits per pixel.
  Least significant byte first in each pixel.
  True colour: max red 255 green 255 blue 255, shift red 16 green 8 blue 0
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-helvetica-bold-r-*-*-16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*" to type FontStruct Using default colormap which is TrueColor. Pixel format:
  16 bits per pixel.
  Least significant byte first in each pixel.
  True colour: max red 31 green 63 blue 31, shift red 11 green 5 blue 0
Same machine: preferring raw encoding

i have compression enabled in putty but the display of the remote desktop
is incredibly slow. it takes something like 30 or 40 seconds to draw the
screen fully. in vista the desktop display is fast enough to be practical
as opposed to this. is there anything in the above message, or in general,
anyone could point me to that might improve my speeds in this regard?

thanks,
BabaG

Re: vnc/ssh tunnel problems - works but slow in mandriva 2007.1

BabaG
using command:

vncviewer -encodings tight -compresslevel 9

vastly sped things up. still concerned about the putty
setting mentioned below, though. any help on whether i
should have to select 'local ports accept connections
from other hosts'? whether i've punched a big hole in
my security this way?

thanks,
BabaG

BabaG wrote