vnc over long distance and relatively slow DSL connection

vnc over long distance and relatively slow DSL connection

H.S.
Hello,

I am looking for speeding up the interaction with a Windows desktop
running tightvnc server and viewing it on a Linux machine over a long
distance DSL connection (the connection is not very fast though, 256/64
kbps). Mainly, how should the VNC server on the Windows XP machine be
configured to get best performance.

I already use a command like the following on the Linux client:
$> xtightvncviewer  -compresslevel 9 -encoding "copyrect hextile tight"
localhost:1

This connection is through an SSH tunnel, hence the localhost above.

thanks,
Sam.

Re: vnc over long distance and relatively slow DSL connection

Ron Joffe
On Friday 15 February 2008 00:10, H.S. wrote:
> This connection is through an SSH tunnel, hence the localhost above.

Are you compressing the ssh tunnel (-C) ?

RE: vnc over long distance and relatively slow DSL connection

Bob McConnell
The trick is to reduce the amount of image data that has to be
transferred initially and with each update.

Make sure "Remove desktop wallpaper" is turned on so the background
image does not have to be transferred or refreshed.

Make each window as small as is practical.

Minimize windows you are not using but that may change while you are
focused elsewhere.

Bob McConnell

RE: vnc over long distance and relatively slow DSL connection

James Weatherall
Hi Sam,

The first thing to check is the end-to-end latency, e.g. by pinging the
server computer from the viewer.  If the network latency is high then you
may actually be better off disabling as much compression as you can, since
that further increases the latency of update delivery.

Cheers,

--
Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

Bob McConnell wrote:
> The trick is to reduce the amount of image data that has to be
> transferred initially and with each update.
>
> Make sure "Remove desktop wallpaper" is turned on so the background
> image does not have to be transferred or refreshed.

Already done.

> Make each window as small as is practical.

hmm ... didn't have that in mind.

> Minimize windows you are not using but that may change while you are
> focused elsewhere.

Yup, that is being done as well.

thanks.

James Weatherall wrote:
> Hi Sam,
>
> The first thing to check is the end-to-end latency, e.g. by pinging the
> server computer from the viewer.  If the network latency is high then you
> may actually be better off disabling as much compression as you can, since
> that further increases the latency of update delivery.

Interesting. Currently I am using maximum compression (-compressleve 9).
I will try using lesser next time and see how it goes.

BTW, when the VNC server is on Windows XP, how do I reduce the color
bits on a new client session?

thanks.

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

Angel Castillo (Ceproban)
Have u tried using 8-bit color ? That's an option that has worked VERY well
for me on 128kbps connections. If you are not viewing pictures and only the
basic icons of a windows desktop you won't miss the total color rainbow. Use
it along with the compress options and without and compare which one works
better for you as sometimes it's faster without the compression when 8-bit
is activated

Angel Castillo (Ceproban) wrote:
> Have u tried using 8-bit color ? That's an option that has worked VERY well
> for me on 128kbps connections. If you are not viewing pictures and only the
> basic icons of a windows desktop you won't miss the total color rainbow. Use
> it along with the compress options and without and compare which one works
> better for you as sometimes it's faster without the compression when 8-bit
> is activated

Will this work if the VNC Windows server has its display set to 32 bits
color?

I have tried the -depth option but it seems to make no difference. Now
when I read xtightvncviewer's man page, it appears this is useful only
on an X server (means when the VNC server is running Linux?). Would
-bgr233 make any difference instead?

thanks,
->HS

Re: vnc over long distance and relatively slow DSL connection

Hello Sam,

> I already use a command like the following on the Linux client:
> $> xtightvncviewer  -compresslevel 9 -encoding "copyrect hextile tight"
> localhost:1
>
> This connection is through an SSH tunnel, hence the localhost above.

Just for your information: the command line above causes the server
always use the Hextile encoding (because it is listed before Tight).
That also means the -compresslevel option does not have any effect,
because it affects only the Tight encoder.