vnc hangs when connecting

Mark Sheinbaum

I am trying to connect to a vnc server running at a partner’s facility. I have been able to use vnc while at the facility. When I try to connect from my company’s facility to the partner’s facility, vnc hangs after displaying a pop up box containing the message “Status: Protocol version negotiated”.

I can use putty to ssh to the targeted server. My machine is a windows xp desktop using a vpn product to connect to the partner’s facility.

Mark Sheinbaum, Build and Release Engineer

[hidden email] P 415.344.6192 M 650.207-3678 F 415.344.6150

575 Market Street, 14th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

NorthStar ● Wealth Management Software Solutions ● www.northstar.com

IMPORTANT: The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential and is intended only for the named addressee(s). This message may be protected by the attorney/client privilege. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient (or the individual responsible for the delivery of this email message to the intended recipient) please be advised that any re-use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail message is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please reply to the sender that you have received this message in error and then delete it. Thank you.

Re: vnc hangs when connecting

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello Mark,

> I am trying to connect to a vnc server running at a partner’s
> facility. I have been able to use vnc while at the facility. When I
> try to connect from my company’s facility to the partner’s facility,
> vnc hangs after displaying a pop up box containing the message
>
> I can use putty to ssh to the targeted server. My machine is a
> windows xp desktop using a vpn product to connect to the partner’s
> facility.

Well, if VPN is involved, that looks very much like MTU problems:

  http://www.realvnc.com/pipermail/vnc-list/2001-November/026610.html