vnc connection to a machine with no kvm

Sid Tupper
Beer, vnc
I'm still trying to connect vncviewer on an XP machine to a bare (no keyboard, monitor or mouse) linux box.

Googling "vncserver S99local" I can see that other people have tried to get vncserver going during boot, before login, by putting the vncserver command in the /etc/rc5.d/S99local script.  When I do this and reboot, then aim vncviewer at the linux box, it returns "failed to connect to server" more or less immediately.  Then if I telnet to the linux box and look for a vnc process, I don't find one and there's no log at $HOME/.vnc either.  I know that S99local executed though because it has a line

    touch /var/lock/subsys/local

and the modification date/time of /var/lock/subsys/local is when it got touched.

I tried changing the user to 'sid' (me, not root) in S99local, rebooted and got a blank screen with a functioning cursor but no gdm login dialog, and no response to vncviewer.

I also tried adding a password parameter to the vncserver command in S99local

    vncserver /home/sid/.vnc/passwd

as suggested in a post I read but that didn't help and anyway the manpage doesn't describe that.

Please help ... has anyone succeeded with this approach?  Or some other?

thanks
Sid