vnc connection to a machine with no kvm

Sid Tupper
Beer, vnc
I want to remotely operate a Linux machine without keyboard, video or mouse entirely from an XP machine, right from boot.

This is the approach I've taken so far, that doesn't work: I power up a Linux (Fedora 7 with gnome) machine on the LAN but don't log on.  From an XP machine on the LAN, I log onto the Linux machine through a SSH connection (putty) and start a vncserver on the Linux machine.  It returns the host:display parameter to use with vncviewer: 'sidLinux:1'. Then I start a vncviewer on the XP machine, addressing the vncserver host.  The vncviewer returns an error: "Failed to connect to server."   What do I need to do to make it connect?

When I do a ps in the telnet SSH window, I see xterm, Xvnc, twm.

Then if I log directly on the Linux machine (through gnome), start a terminal and start a vncserver there it returns 'sidLinux:2' and the vncviewer on the XP connects successfully.  ps on the gnome terminal returns xterm, Xvnc and twm too, but with different process IDs.

Here's the log from the SSH terminal:

login as: sid
[hidden email] password:
Last login: Sat Oct 27 19:10:58 2007 from siddell
[sid@sidLinux ~]$ vncserver

New 'X' desktop is sidLinux:1

Starting applications specified in /home/sid/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /home/sid/.vnc/sidLinux:1.log

[sid@sidLinux ~]$
[sid@sidLinux ~]$ more /home/sid/.vnc/sidLinux:1.log
Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb'
27/10/07 21:53:02 Xvnc version TightVNC-1.3.9
27/10/07 21:53:02 Copyright (C) 2000-2007 TightVNC Group
27/10/07 21:53:02 Copyright (C) 1999 AT&T Laboratories Cambridge
27/10/07 21:53:02 All Rights Reserved.
27/10/07 21:53:02 See http://www.tightvnc.com/ for information on TightVNC
27/10/07 21:53:02 Desktop name 'X' (sidLinux:1)
27/10/07 21:53:02 Protocol versions supported: 3.3, 3.7, 3.8, 3.7t, 3.8t
27/10/07 21:53:02 Listening for VNC connections on TCP port 5901
27/10/07 21:53:02 Listening for HTTP connections on TCP port 5801
27/10/07 21:53:02   URL http://sidLinux:5801
xsetroot:  unknown color "grey"
/home/sid/.vnc/xstartup: line 10: vncconfig: command not found
twm:  invalid color name "black"
twm:  invalid color name "white"
twm:  invalid color name "slategrey"
twm:  invalid color name "gray85"
twm:  invalid color name "gray85"
twm:  invalid color name "gray85"
twm:  invalid color name "slategrey"
twm:  invalid color name "gray70"
twm:  invalid color name "gray85"
twm:  invalid color name "gray85"
twm:  invalid color name "gray85"
[sid@sidLinux ~]$

Thanks for any help you can give me.

regards
Sid

Re: vnc connection to a machine with no kvm

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello Sid,

> I want to remotely operate a Linux machine without keyboard, video or
> mouse entirely from an XP machine, right from boot.
>
> This is the approach I've taken so far, that doesn't work: I power up
> a Linux (Fedora 7 with gnome) machine on the LAN but don't log on.
> From an XP machine on the LAN, I log onto the Linux machine through a
> SSH connection (putty) and start a vncserver on the Linux machine.
> It returns the host:display parameter to use with vncviewer:
> 'sidLinux:1'. Then I start a vncviewer on the XP machine, addressing
> the vncserver host.  The vncviewer returns an error: "Failed to
> connect to server."   What do I need to do to make it connect?

I guess port 5901 should be opened in Linux firewall. Try to connect to
Xvnc with telnet (to port 5901) from the same Linux machine, then from
the XP machine. If you can connect from localhost, but cannot connect
from XP, then the problem is in firewalls/routers between the machines.