vnc and suse 9

Jim Grecni
I'm trying to connect to an Xvnc server on a SUSE 9, service pack 3
system. I can connect just fine using a web brower by connecting to
http://<ipaddress>:5801 but if I try using a vncviewer I get connected
but no screen or password prompt is shown. Using tightvnc vncviewer the
log displays:
Connected to <id address> port 5901
RFB server supports protocol version 3.130
Connected to RFB server, using protocol version 3.8

Anyone have any ideas why the browser interface would work but the
vncviewer interface would not?

Thank you.

Jim Grecni

RE: vnc and suse 9

James Weatherall
Hi Jim,

The most obvious thing wrong with the output below is that there is no such
RFB protocol version as 3.130.  It sounds like your "VNC server" isn't a VNC
server at all, just something based on our VNC server codebase but which
isn't compatible.

You should get better results if you install either a standard VNC server,
or one from a VNC-compatible project such as TightVNC instead of the one
you're currently using.  You may also be able to fool the problem server
into cooperating by running your VNC Viewer with the "protocol 3.3" option
enabled.

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

Re: vnc and suse 9

Hello Jim,

> Using tightvnc vncviewer the log displays:
> Connected to <id address> port 5901
> RFB server supports protocol version 3.130
> Connected to RFB server, using protocol version 3.8
>
> Anyone have any ideas why the browser interface would work but the
> vncviewer interface would not?

The protocol 3.130 was an experimental feature which appeared in
TightVNC 1.3dev1 only (development version). Then its support was
dropped and so it did not ever appear in stable versions.

Protocol 3.130 does not comply with the official RFB specification and
breaks normal RFB protocol interoperability. Due to such compatibility
problems, such protocol variation should not be ever used. That means
TightVNC 1.3dev1 should not be used as well.