tightvnc server on Unix

Yossi.Itzkovich

Hi,

It seems that the tight vnc C++ code is old.  It uses X11R3, and no news about it in the "What's new" section for long time.

Is there a good reason for it ?

Regards

Yossi

This e-mail message is intended for the recipient only and contains information which is CONFIDENTIAL and which may be proprietary to ECI Telecom. If you have received this transmission in error, please inform us by e-mail, phone or fax, and then delete the original and all copies thereof.

Java viewer listening mode?

Kertesz Laszlo
Hello,

I downloaded the java listener version 2.1 and i see that it does not have listen mode. Will this feature be included?

--
O zi buna,

Kertesz Laszlo

Re: Java viewer listening mode?

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello Kertesz,

> I downloaded the java listener version 2.1 and i see that it does not have listen mode. Will this feature be included?

Currently, we do not have plans to implement listening mode in the Java
Viewer. However, it's possible that we'll consider it after completing
current priorities: desktop scaling, full-screen mode and SSH tunneling.

Thank you!

--
Best Regards,
Constantin Kaplinsky

Re: tightvnc server on Unix

Hello Yossi,

> It seems that the tight vnc C++ code is old.  It uses X11R3, and no news
> about it in the "What's new" section for long time.
>
> Is there a good reason for it ?

We did not work on TightVNC for *nix for a long time -- version for
Windows was our #1 priority. However, it's VERY likely that we'll return
to *nix development later this year.

--
Best Regards,
Constantin Kaplinsky

Follow TightVNC on Twitter:   http://www.twitter.com/tightvnc
Purchase technical support:   http://www.tightvnc.com/support.php

RE: tightvnc server on Unix

Bob McConnell
> From: Constantin Kaplinsky

> > It seems that the tight vnc C++ code is old.  It uses X11R3, and no
> > news about it in the "What's new" section for long time.
> >
> > Is there a good reason for it ?
>
> We did not work on TightVNC for *nix for a long time -- version for Windows
> was our #1 priority. However, it's VERY likely that we'll return to *nix
> development later this year.

The primary issue with the Unix server is that it can't open the current desktop session. It always creates a new session for you. I have been using x11vnc as my server on XFCE/Slackware desktops.

Bob McConnell

Re: tightvnc server on Unix

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello Bob,

> The primary issue with the Unix server is that it can't open the
> current desktop session. It always creates a new session for you. I
> have been using x11vnc as my server on XFCE/Slackware desktops.

Yes, Xvnc always created a new session. It's possible that we'll prepare
a solution for sharing an existing X desktop, although I do not promise
anything yet.

--
Best Regards,
Constantin Kaplinsky

[VNC] RE: tightvnc server on Unix

Arfin Greebly

Bob,

Not long ago (a few months) I upgraded my desktop at work from Ubuntu 8.x
to Ubuntu 10.x and part of that package was KDE 4.

I had been using VNC for years on this box without any problems.
Evidently, however, some bright spark in the Ubuntu/KDE development camp
thought that it would be a stellar idea to incorporate display zero (the
primary desktop) into the RFB support -- /as the default/.  This
immediately broke TightVNC.  I could no longer establish a VNC session
that did not affect ":0" in some way.  I would start vncserver as display
:21, and then try to launch a program (like kmail or Firefox) and the
program would pop up on the primary display ( :0 ) instead of display :21.
Graphics support for non-zero display sessions became nearly unusable.

I was able to mostly solve the problem by abandoning KDE and going with
Gnome.  Graphics support was still spotty, and was never fully resolved,
but the remote session was usable.

The idea of being able to use VNC with display:0 is occasionally
attractive, and clearly has its uses.  Implementing that feature so that
it breaks the ability to use multiple non-zero display sessions is simply
bad engineering.

If I want to share a desktop with someone else, I just open a shareable
display session, for example as display:33, and then I log into :33 along
with whomever will be sharing it, and do the collaboration there.

I would much rather sacrifice having VNC available for display:0 than lose
the ability to support multiple non-zero displays.

~~ Garry

----- On Tue, 6 Mar 2012, Bob McConnell wrote: -----

>> From: Constantin Kaplinsky

>>> It seems that the tight vnc C++ code is old.  It uses X11R3, and no
>>> news about it in the "What's new" section for long time.
>>>
>>> Is there a good reason for it ?
>>
>> We did not work on TightVNC for *nix for a long time -- version for Windows
>> was our #1 priority. However, it's VERY likely that we'll return to *nix
>> development later this year.
>

> The primary issue with the Unix server is that it can't open the current desktop session. It always creates a new session for you. I have been using x11vnc as my server on XFCE/Slackware desktops.
>
> Bob McConnell

RE: [VNC] RE: tightvnc server on Unix

Bob McConnell
> From: Arfin Greebly
>
> Bob,
>
> Not long ago (a few months) I upgraded my desktop at work from Ubuntu
> 8.x to Ubuntu 10.x and part of that package was KDE 4.
>
> I had been using VNC for years on this box without any problems.
> Evidently, however, some bright spark in the Ubuntu/KDE development
> camp thought that it would be a stellar idea to incorporate display zero (the
> primary desktop) into the RFB support -- /as the default/.  This immediately
> broke TightVNC.  I could no longer establish a VNC session that did not affect
> ":0" in some way.  I would start vncserver as display :21, and then try to
> launch a program (like kmail or Firefox) and the program would pop up on
> the primary display ( :0 ) instead of display :21.
> Graphics support for non-zero display sessions became nearly unusable.
>
> I was able to mostly solve the problem by abandoning KDE and going with
> Gnome.  Graphics support was still spotty, and was never fully resolved, but
> the remote session was usable.
>
> The idea of being able to use VNC with display:0 is occasionally attractive, and
> clearly has its uses.  Implementing that feature so that it breaks the ability to
> use multiple non-zero display sessions is simply bad engineering.
>
> If I want to share a desktop with someone else, I just open a shareable
> display session, for example as display:33, and then I log into :33 along with
> whomever will be sharing it, and do the collaboration there.
>
> I would much rather sacrifice having VNC available for display:0 than lose the
> ability to support multiple non-zero displays.
>
> ~~ Garry
>

> ----- On Tue, 6 Mar 2012, Bob McConnell wrote: -----
> >>
> >> From: Constantin Kaplinsky

> >> We did not work on TightVNC for *nix for a long time -- version for
> >> Windows was our #1 priority. However, it's VERY likely that we'll
> >> return to *nix development later this year.
> >

> > The primary issue with the Unix server is that it can't open the current
> desktop session. It always creates a new session for you. I have been using
> x11vnc as my server on XFCE/Slackware desktops.
> >
> > Bob McConnell

Hi Arfin,

I don't use VNC to share, but to access the desktops on my home network while I am out of town visiting my grandchildren. I open a VPN through m0n0wall to connect with them. So I always and only need access to display 0. The x11vnc server does the job nicely. None of my servers have X installed, of course, so I only need an ssh client to work with them.

Thanks,

Bob McConnell