tightvnc as framebuffer

Lou Lohman

I have an application that uses the frame buffer in an Exceed workstation to render graphics for printing.  The job runs in ‘the server’ but references this other system in order to render the graphics.  There is an X server running in ‘the server’, but the job isn’t allowed access to the X environment and an error message is generated whenever the print job runs and it is configured to try to use the X server.  My question is this:  Would TightVNC, running in ‘the server’, serve the same purpose as the Exceed environment does in the workstation; e.i., would it be my frame buffer?

Lou

”Ninety percent of the game is half mental." Yogi Berra

RE: tightvnc as framebuffer

Lou Lohman

Actually, I have answered my own question.  Information on a site related to Oracle tells me that if I start Xvnc with the proper parameters, it will do exactly as I wish.  For example "vncserver :13 -pn +localhost" or "vncserver :13 -pn -ac" will do the trick - the first example allows connection by any User on the local system whereas the second example allows a connection from anywhere on the network.

Apparently it is also possible to use the primary X server to do the same thing - one has to get into the configuration file for X and create a "Screen" for the frame buffer - but X has always been fairly mysterious to me and I ain't gonna mess with it.  Xvnc is easier and better.

Thanks to anyone who might have given this any thought.

Lou