specify port in URL not working for IE

Ming Zhao-4
It is very strange that when I specify the port number in URL as a parameter of the applet, it does not work for IE (but works for Firefox). The applet still tries to access the default 5900 port, instead of the port I use in the URL. On the other hand, when I specify the host address in URL, it works fine.

Why does this happen? Is there a fix for this problem?

(I have to use port forwarding for both the RFB port and HTTP port of my VNC server because it's not directly accessible.)

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

RE: specify port in URL not working for IE

James Weatherall
Ming,

The VNC server tells the Java applet which port to use in the web page that
it sends the browser.  To use a different port to 5900, you therefore need
to reconfigure your server, or edit the Server specification the Java viewer
tries to connect to when it pops up.

Serving the applet on the same port as is used for the VNC connection itself
is possible using the One-Port feature of VNC Enterprise Edition
(http://www.realvnc.com/products/enterprise).

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello James,

> The VNC server tells the Java applet which port to use in the web
> page that it sends the browser.  To use a different port to 5900, you
> therefore need to reconfigure your server, or edit the Server
> specification the Java viewer tries to connect to when it pops up.

This is a question about TightVNC. In TightVNC, it's possible to specify
RFB port in URLs when accessing the Java viewer.

Re: specify port in URL not working for IE

Hello Ming,

> It is very strange that when I specify the port number in URL as a
> parameter of the applet, it does not work for IE (but works for
> Firefox).

As far as I understand, that really cannot depend on the browser type.
Are you sure you are connecting to the same TightVNC server?

Re: specify port in URL not working for IE

Ming Zhao-4
I have tried it with both IE6 and IE7 on several different machines, and it fails consistently.

The URL I used is something like this: http://128.227.22.222:13231/?port=13230
Port 13231 is forwarded to the VNC server's port 5800 (HTTP), and port 13230 is forwarded to the VNC server's port 5900 (RFB).

I know it's strange, but the same setup works with no problem on Firefox. Have I done something wrong?

It's also strange that even though the port parameter does not work on IE, the host parameter seems to work, because when I put an arbitrary host address in the URL (e.g., http://128.227.22.222:13231/?host=10.0.0.1), I can see the applet tries to access the given host.

The tightvnc server I am using is 1.3.9.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Best,
- Ming

On 10/2/07, Constantin Kaplinsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Ming,

> It is very strange that when I specify the port number in URL as a
> parameter of the applet, it does not work for IE (but works for
> Firefox).

As far as I understand, that really cannot depend on the browser type.
Are you sure you are connecting to the same TightVNC server?

Re: specify port in URL not working for IE

Ming Zhao-4
Hi James,

Sorry I forgot to mention I was trying with TightVNC (2.3.9) since it supports applet parameters in URL.

The single port feature of RealVNC is very nice, but can I get the Enterprise version for free?

Thanks for your help.

Best,
- Ming

On 10/2/07, James Weatherall <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ming,

The VNC server tells the Java applet which port to use in the web page that
it sends the browser.  To use a different port to 5900, you therefore need
to reconfigure your server, or edit the Server specification the Java viewer
tries to connect to when it pops up.

Serving the applet on the same port as is used for the VNC connection itself
is possible using the One-Port feature of VNC Enterprise Edition
(http://www.realvnc.com/products/enterprise).

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

Unsubscribing

Zoltan Soos-2

Please send me instructions of how to unsubscribe from this mailing list.

Regards

Zoltan Soos

Re: Unsubscribing

Steve Bostedor
Re: Unsubscribing It’s in the bottom of every email in the list.

Re: specify port in URL not working for IE

Ming Zhao-4
Hi Constantin,

It seems I can also duplicate the problem without using port forwarding.

If I set my VNC server's ports to 5555 (RFB) and 6666 (HTTP), and access it from a browser client with a URL such as http://vncserverip:6666?port=4444, then on Firefox, the connection fails, which is correct because it is using the port specified in the URL, but on IE, the connection succeeds, which is wrong because it is using the port returned from the VNC HTTP server instead of the one I put in the URL.

Thanks again.

Best,
- Ming

On 10/1/07, Ming Zhao <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is very strange that when I specify the port number in URL as a parameter of the applet, it does not work for IE (but works for Firefox). The applet still tries to access the default 5900 port, instead of the port I use in the URL. On the other hand, when I specify the host address in URL, it works fine.

Why does this happen? Is there a fix for this problem?

(I have to use port forwarding for both the RFB port and HTTP port of my VNC server because it's not directly accessible.)

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

RE: Unsubscribing

Zoltan Soos-2

Hi List,

Could anyone tell me how to unsubscribe from this service?

The link “http://lists.sourceforge.net” does not work, it is redirected to https://sourceforge.net/index.php that does not offer list management.

I would hate to report the group as a spammer list.

Regards,

Zoltan Soos

RE: Unsubscribing

Kevin Tomasek
Message
READ!!!!!

at the bottom of every mail from this list is the following link.  it may show up as an attachment depending on your mail program..

Re[2]: Unsubscribing

Gerard Seibert-2
On Tuesday October 02, 2007 at 04:41:16 (PM) Zoltan Soos wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Could anyone tell me how to unsubscribe from this service?
>
> The link "http://lists.sourceforge.net" does not work, it is redirected to
> https://sourceforge.net/index.php that does not offer list management.
>
> I would hate to report the group as a spammer list.

Just out of curiosity, are you actually reading all the way to the
bottom of the page. The following message is prominently displayed
there.

Admit it, you are actually an AOL'er in disguise.

--
Gerard

Re: specify port in URL not working for IE

Hello Ming,

> If I set my VNC server's ports to 5555 (RFB) and 6666 (HTTP), and
> access it from a browser client with a URL such as
> http://vncserverip:6666?port=4444, then on Firefox, the connection
> fails, which is correct because it is using the port specified in the
> URL, but on IE, the connection succeeds, which is wrong because it is
> using the port returned from the VNC HTTP server instead of the one I
> put in the URL.

Finally I was able to reproduce the problem. I'll try to fix it in the
nearest time.