Quantcast

remove old displays

Göran Höglund
Hi List
New to vncservers I've faced a problem with releasing old unused displays.
I am running Ubuntu 16.04 and installed vnc server by unbuntus standard apt repositories.

Everything works excellent but my display numbers are suddenly increased by one every now and then.

Running vncserver for the first time did automagically set the number to :1 (and IP to 5901)
This number was in use for a couple of days until it was suddenly increased to :2 and so forth.

Attempted to kill :1 but got this message:
$ vncserver -kill :1

Can't find file /home/user/.vnc/streamer:1.pid
You'll have to kill the Xtightvnc process manually

$ vncserver :1
A VNC server is already running as :1

$ vncserver
xauth: (argv):1:  bad display name "streamer:7" in "add" command

New 'X' desktop is streamer:7

Starting applications specified in /home/user/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /home/user/.vnc/streamer:7.log

$ vncserver -kill :7
Killing Xtightvnc process ID 6485

Now my display has reached 7 and I'd like to reset the counter to 1 again, but how??

Thanks Göran