"Fast VNC" server (on a 6Gbit network)

""-8
Hi!

I'm working on a project that involves using RFB over fast, trunked
LAN for distributed framebuffer purposes.

I've been (semi-blindly) hacking the vnc_winsrc server code trying to
decrease the CPU utilization in the server process. At multi-gigabit
speeds this overhead becomes very noticable.

I wonder if you have any suggestions if tightvnc is even a good
codebase to experiment with (it's very neat, so that's definitely a
plus). Opening ~20 shared sessions to the same server (which uses
Mirage driver) leads to CPU saturation, and yields aroud 3Gbit/s pixel
stream. Skipping some of the excessive memory copies can help as well
(~5Gbit/s if I use dangerous pointer-copy version of AIOblock, further
improvements should be possible)

Or maybe it makes sense to just write a server from scratch, reusing
some of the existing code? The goal is to support raw, partial-screen
framebuffer fetches, as quickly as possible, preferably within an
existing standard.

cheers,

Tomasz

Re: "Fast VNC" server (on a 6Gbit network)

Oscar Usifer
Hi Tomasz,

Suggest using vncreflector for this type of application. Also very well written code by Constantine Kaplinsky.

HTH,
OSC

--
Be Yourself @ mail.com!