Quantcast

problem with authentication

Charles Li
I am not able to connect with vnc client.  I am
getting authentication failure on the server side.  I
am very sure that I put in the correct password.  I
even change it with a new password and try, but still
no luck.
All I see on the server log file is just
"authentication failure".  How should I debug this?

Thanks,
Charles Li

Re: problem with authentication

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello Charles,

> I am not able to connect with vnc client.  I am getting
> authentication failure on the server side.  I am very sure that I put
> in the correct password.  I even change it with a new password and
> try, but still no luck. All I see on the server log file is just
> "authentication failure".  How should I debug this?

There are two password types in TightVNC: user-specific and
system-wide (default). User-specific settings are kept under the
HKEY_CURRENT_USER in the registry, while the default settings are
under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Is that possible that you set the user
password when the default password should be used (it's used in the
service mode, when nobody's logged in)?

To change the default password, choose TightVNC -> Administration ->
Show Default Settings, from the Start -> Programs menu.

Re: problem with authentication

Hello Charles,

> The server is linux, which I use vncpasswd to change the password.
> Is there also 2 passwords for linux?

Sorry, I assumed you were using the Windows server. Under Linux, verify
that both Xvnc and vncpasswd are using the same password file, e.g. run

   ps axwww | grep Xvnc

and check the argument to the -rfbauth option in the command line.

P.S. Please use "Reply to all" in your e-mail client, to make sure the