not getting graphics

Michael Sullivan-8
I am just beginning with TightVNC and using a windows machine to access both a windows machine and a linux server at work. I can VNC fine to the windows machine, but when I try to access the linux box, it connects but i end up with a screen that is blank except for a terminal window.   I get the same results connecting to the linux machine from another linux machine on the network.

Also, when I do this, X becomes unstable (on the machine I'm trying to connect to and I need to restart it...

I am assuming that something isn't configured right.  The box I need to access is a CENTOS 4.x machine.

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: not getting graphics

Rohit Patil
On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Michael Sullivan
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am just beginning with TightVNC and using a windows machine to access both
> a windows machine and a linux server at work. I can VNC fine to the windows
> machine, but when I try to access the linux box, it connects but i end up
> with a screen that is blank except for a terminal window.   I get the same
> results connecting to the linux machine from another linux machine on the
> network.

That is most likely because the window manager isn't running on the
server because vncserver wasn't able to start it right. I have seen
this happen when I try to start vncserver from a console that is
already running a window manager (such as xfce4).

Try ssh'ing to the Linux machine and then starting VNC server in that
ssh terminal.

-Rohit.

> Also, when I do this, X becomes unstable (on the machine I'm trying to
> connect to and I need to restart it...
>
> I am assuming that something isn't configured right.  The box I need to
> access is a CENTOS 4.x machine.
>
> any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: not getting graphics

Michael Sullivan-8
I did some further investigation and am now able to vnc to the linux server with a graphic display ( I un-comment two lines in ~/.vnc/xstartup).   however, i can only connect to a different display than the one currently running on the machine.    When connecting via vnc to a windows machine, I am able to access the current display, but on linux if I try to do that I get a message that kde is currently running on that display and I am left in a bare-bones terminal in a putty-colored screen.

Is there a way for vnc to access the current (visible) display like on a windows machine?