mac vncviewer

John Newlin-2
Hello, I'm working on a client for macosx.  Is there someone I should
ask to submit patches, or can I get submit privs under trunk/mac ?

thanks,

-john

Re: mac vncviewer

astrand (Bugzilla)

> Hello, I'm working on a client for macosx.

Any particular reason why you want to develop a new OS X client? There are
already many, perhaps too many, OS X clients.

> Is there someone I should
> ask to submit patches, or can I get submit privs under trunk/mac ?

Constantin Kaplinsky is the project admin.

Rgds,
---
Peter Åstrand ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB http://www.cendio.se
Wallenbergs gata 4
583 30 Linköping Phone: +46-13-21 46 00

Re: mac vncviewer

astrand (Bugzilla)

> I only know of 2 or three and none of those are any good when compared to the
> TightVNC for Windows. I would be glad to do some testing.

I know about these:

* Chicken of the VNC (http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/). This is
the one we are currently using in ThinLinc. Fairly good, but the
development has stalled.

* VNCViewer (http://homepage.mac.com/kedoin/VNC/VNCViewer/index.html). No
update since 2005.

* VNCThing (http://www.webthing.net/vncthing, not available any longer).

* Vine Viewer
(http://www.redstonesoftware.com/products/vine/viewer/index.html).

* JollyFastVNC (http://www.jinx.de/JollysFastVNC.html).

Rgds,
Peter Åstrand

> Peter Åstrand wrote:
> > > Hello, I'm working on a client for macosx.
> > >

> > Any particular reason why you want to develop a new OS X client? There are
> > already many, perhaps too many, OS X clients.
> >

> > > Is there someone I should
> > > ask to submit patches, or can I get submit privs under trunk/mac ?
> > >

> > Constantin Kaplinsky is the project admin.
> >
> > Rgds, ---
> > Peter Åstrand ThinLinc Chief Developer
> > Cendio AB http://www.cendio.se
> > Wallenbergs gata 4
> > 583 30 Linköping Phone: +46-13-21 46 00

---
Peter Åstrand ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB http://www.cendio.se
Wallenbergs gata 4
583 30 Linköping Phone: +46-13-21 46 00

RE: mac vncviewer

James Weatherall
Hi Peter, Daniel,

There is also, of course, the standard VNC Viewer Enterprise Edition for Mac OS X, available from http://www.realvnc.com/download.html

Cheers,

--
Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

Karl J. Runge
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, =?UTF-8?Q?Peter_=C3=85strand?= <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Chicken of the VNC (http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/). This is
> the one we are currently using in ThinLinc. Fairly good, but the
> development has stalled.

There are some annoyances I find with COTVNC:  No local cursors support,
no NewFramebufferSize support, and it won't prompt you for a passwd at
connection time (please correct me if I have missed how to enable these).
So I usually wind up using TightVNC X11 viewer on macosx, even though
it has no integration with the mac gui.

I would welcome an active open source Mac port of the viewer.

Karl

Re: mac vncviewer

astrand (Bugzilla)
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Karl J. Runge wrote:

> There are some annoyances I find with COTVNC:  No local cursors support,
> no NewFramebufferSize support, and it won't prompt you for a passwd at
> connection time (please correct me if I have missed how to enable these).
> So I usually wind up using TightVNC X11 viewer on macosx, even though
> it has no integration with the mac gui.
>
> I would welcome an active open source Mac port of the viewer.

Mee too, but the best way of achieving long term success of an open source
project is usually to build upon what has already been done, rather than
start over from scratch.

We have identified 6 different viewers. I can't believe that all are so
fundamentally flawed that a complete rewrite is required.

But, John Newlin should have some credit for wanting cooperate with an
existing project (TightVNC).

In practice, what I'm suggesting is that we should evaluate the existing
viewers. If we find a promising code base that lacks a hosting project,
I'm positive to import it to the TightVNC Subversion repository. (Of
course, Constantin might have a different opinion.)

Regards,
---
Peter Åstrand ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB http://www.cendio.se
Wallenbergs gata 4
583 30 Linköping Phone: +46-13-21 46 00

Re: mac vncviewer

John Newlin-2
I'm doing this as a for fun project.  I thought I'd offer to submit it back.

-john

On Jan 7, 2008 7:03 AM, Peter Åstrand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Karl J. Runge wrote:
>
> > There are some annoyances I find with COTVNC:  No local cursors support,
> > no NewFramebufferSize support, and it won't prompt you for a passwd at
> > connection time (please correct me if I have missed how to enable these).
> > So I usually wind up using TightVNC X11 viewer on macosx, even though
> > it has no integration with the mac gui.
> >
> > I would welcome an active open source Mac port of the viewer.
>
> Mee too, but the best way of achieving long term success of an open source
> project is usually to build upon what has already been done, rather than
> start over from scratch.
>
> We have identified 6 different viewers. I can't believe that all are so
> fundamentally flawed that a complete rewrite is required.
>
> But, John Newlin should have some credit for wanting cooperate with an
> existing project (TightVNC).
>

> In practice, what I'm suggesting is that we should evaluate the existing
> viewers. If we find a promising code base that lacks a hosting project,
> I'm positive to import it to the TightVNC Subversion repository. (Of
> course, Constantin might have a different opinion.)
>

> Regards,
>
> ---
> Peter Åstrand           ThinLinc Chief Developer
> Cendio AB               http://www.cendio.se
> Wallenbergs gata 4
> 583 30 Linköping        Phone: +46-13-21 46 00

Re: mac vncviewer

Hello John,

> Hello, I'm working on a client for macosx.  Is there someone I should
> ask to submit patches, or can I get submit privs under trunk/mac ?

To decide whether to grant permissions for commits, I'd like to see some
code first. ;)

I'd propose the following scenario. When you have a sort of "alpha
version" ready, please announce it here in the mailing list. We'll make
it available to gather some user feedback. Currently, I do not have a
possibility to test on a Mac, so I'll have to rely on feedback of other
people.

At the end, it's possible that it will become "TightVNC Viewer", but
note that it should be not just written once but also maintained in this
case.

Thank you for your effort!

Re: mac vncviewer

John Newlin-2
On Jan 7, 2008 11:56 PM, Constantin Kaplinsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello John,

> > Hello, I'm working on a client for macosx.  Is there someone I should
> > ask to submit patches, or can I get submit privs under trunk/mac ?
>
> To decide whether to grant permissions for commits, I'd like to see some
> code first. ;)
>
> I'd propose the following scenario. When you have a sort of "alpha
> version" ready, please announce it here in the mailing list. We'll make
> it available to gather some user feedback. Currently, I do not have a
> possibility to test on a Mac, so I'll have to rely on feedback of other
> people.
>
> At the end, it's possible that it will become "TightVNC Viewer", but
> note that it should be not just written once but also maintained in this
> case.
>
> Thank you for your effort!
>
> --
> With Best Wishes,
> Constantin

Not quite alpha yet, still much to do to make this complete but its
starting to work.  I have basic updates working, but not events back
to the server, so it doesn't actually do anything yet after the
connection is made.  If anyone wants to look at the source let me know
and I'll send it.  Hooking C++ code into objective-c requires a bit of
contortion, its rather ugly.  Suggestions on cleaner mechanisms would
be welcome.  :)

  Attaching a couple of screenshots though for fun.

-john

grab1.gif (12K) Download Attachment
grab2.gif (18K) Download Attachment

Re: mac vncviewer

John Newlin-2
> On Jan 7, 2008 11:56 PM, Constantin Kaplinsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello John,

> > > Hello, I'm working on a client for macosx.  Is there someone I should
> > > ask to submit patches, or can I get submit privs under trunk/mac ?
> >
> > To decide whether to grant permissions for commits, I'd like to see some
> > code first. ;)
> >
> > I'd propose the following scenario. When you have a sort of "alpha
> > version" ready, please announce it here in the mailing list. We'll make
> > it available to gather some user feedback. Currently, I do not have a
> > possibility to test on a Mac, so I'll have to rely on feedback of other
> > people.
> >
> > At the end, it's possible that it will become "TightVNC Viewer", but
> > note that it should be not just written once but also maintained in this
> > case.
> >
> > Thank you for your effort!
> >
> > --
> > With Best Wishes,
> > Constantin

I have what is about alpha quality now.
Things that I know are still broken:
- Only supports 24-bit color connections
- Complete lack of error handling.  e.g. if you mistype your password
it will spin off into the weeds
- keyboard support needs work.  Basic keys work a-z, 0-9, control+letter.

This is my first crack at a Mac app, so I'm sure I've done some stupid
things here and there.

It's a little large to attach to email.  You can download it from here
http://idisk.mac.com/newlin_john-Public

Cheers,

-john