local loopback while port forward is needed

local loopback while port forward is needed

Tomáš Klandra
Hallo, I have a problem with TightVNC. I need to connect FROM a forwarded port on my machine, so I need to enter something like "localhost::12345" as the address. But I think TightVNC doesn't care it's a port forwarded to another machine, it just read "localhost" and responds "Local loop-back connections are disabled." I tried IP addresses as well, neither 127.0.0.1 nor my actual address worked. Then I tried to run the server and there say that loopback is allowed, but with no effect. I think I tried everything I could. :(

The thing is I can't use direct address (as target server and port), because both target and source machines are behind strong firewalls, NATs and such, so I can only connect them VIA port forward using 3rd machine on the "free net".

The connection itself works fine, when I enter here "telnet localhost 12345", I see the remote machine's TightVNC service.

Thank you for any help. The only thing which came to my mind was to use 4th machine - some linux on my local network with another port forwarding - but that would be really very ugly and uncomfortable and moreover I don't have such always-powered-on-machine here. ;(

Thank you for any help. Maybe I should report this as a bug..? Tell me, I am not sure.

Tom

Re: local loopback while port forward is needed

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello Tomáš,

> Hallo, I have a problem with TightVNC. I need to connect FROM a
> forwarded port on my machine, so I need to enter something like
> "localhost::12345" as the address. But I think TightVNC doesn't care
> it's a port forwarded to another machine, it just read "localhost"
> and responds "Local loop-back connections are disabled."

This error is reported by the TightVNC Server, not a client. The client
only shows the message received from the server.

The server should be configured to allow loopback connections, that
should solve the problem.