Quantcast

kurt.sys@gmail.com has indicated you're a friend. Accept?

facerbrito333@yahoo.es
Click here to discover kurt.sys@...'s favorite content!
I would like to add you as a friend
-kurt.sys@...
Accept Decline
Connecting with <a href="javascript:void(0)" style=" text-decoration: none; color: #1C75BC; cursor: default"> kurt.sys@... helps you discover great content they recommend :)

P.O. Box 70215, Plaza Station , Sunnyvale, CA 94086

Ook

How to optimize vnc performance with DSL and two 1920x1080 monitors?

Ook
I recently switched from cable modem to DSL. With Cable modem, on my
Linux box (Slackware 14.1 64 bit) I could remote into various hosts and
get acceptable performance. But now with DSL, I'm finding performance to
be very bad. It takes 2-3 seconds to draw the screen, and it is
basically unusable.

I've tried the java based tightvnc viewer and the console based vncviewer.

If I set custom compression level to fast, it speeds up quite a bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do to optimize
performance?

Re: How to optimize vnc performance with DSL and two 1920x1080 monitors?

Patrick Shoaf
The biggest problem with most (not all) DSL services, is that DSL does not provide bi-directional full-duplex communication.  IE, you can upload or download, but not both at the same time.  I had DSL that was a 5M down x 768k up connection.  I was uploading via FTP a 50M file.  I had to wait 1 minute or longer to get a simple text web page to download and display.  VNC requires both upload and download continuously.  The same problem existed with Dial-Up modems.  DSL is still a 2-wire phone service, just faster than a modem.

Patrick Shoaf
IT Special Projects
[hidden email]

Model Cleaners, Uniforms & Apparel
Model Ohio Enterprises dba The Fussy Cleaners

100 Third Street
Charleroi, PA 15022
Direct Dial: 724-565-2033
724-489-4386 Fax
www.modelcleaners.com
www.modelapparel.com
www.modeluniforms.com
www.thefussycleaners.com

On 3/17/2015 10:34 AM, Ook wrote:
I recently switched from cable modem to DSL. With Cable modem, on my
Linux box (Slackware 14.1 64 bit) I could remote into various hosts and
get acceptable performance. But now with DSL, I'm finding performance to
be very bad. It takes 2-3 seconds to draw the screen, and it is
basically unusable.

I've tried the java based tightvnc viewer and the console based vncviewer.

If I set custom compression level to fast, it speeds up quite a bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can do to optimize
performance?

pshoaf.vcf (350 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: How to optimize vnc performance with DSL and two 1920x1080 monitors?

Lukáš Kužel

I'm using ZRLE encoding, 256 colors and without transfer desktop background to get better performance with xDSL connection. Seems to me that is better than default configuration at VNC Viewer.

Firestone

---
e-mail: [hidden email]

Ook

Re: How to optimize vnc performance with DSL and two 1920x1080 monitors?

Marco Gaiarin
Mandi! Ook
  In chel di` si favelave...

>> The biggest problem with most (not all) DSL services, is that DSL does not
>> provide bi-directional full-duplex communication.

It is not full exact: the trouble came surely from the assymmetry of
the link, but xDSL are full duplex.
It is a bad effect of the TCP/IP protocol, that behave very badly when
uplink or downling is in saturation; os symmetric link, saturation
simply happen hardly.

Google for 'bufferbloat' for more info. ;)

> Ouch. Did not know that. Are we pretty much stuck with the performance penalty
> then if we have that type of DSL?

Simply you have to 'shape' your connection; depending on connection
''quality'', you can be forced to shape very hardly...

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin        GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                    http://www.sv.lnf.it/

    http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/25/index.php/component/k2/item/123

Re: How to optimize vnc performance with DSL and two 1920x1080 monitors?

Patrick Shoaf
Thanks for the update, unfortunately the DSL services I have available in West PA and East OH are ADSL.  Verizon support told me that is I am using the max upload capacity, I will not be able to download using the "extra" bandwidth.  If I were to limit the FTP upload, I could receive some download capacity.

Patrick Shoaf
IT Special Projects
[hidden email]

Model Cleaners, Uniforms & Apparel
Model Ohio Enterprises dba The Fussy Cleaners

100 Third Street
Charleroi, PA 15022
Direct Dial: 724-565-2033
724-489-4386 Fax
www.modelcleaners.com
www.modelapparel.com
www.modeluniforms.com
www.thefussycleaners.com

On 3/18/2015 4:55 AM, Marco Gaiarin wrote:
Mandi! Ook
  In chel di` si favelave...