help

Mark Palmer-4

I have installed tight vnc on a few PCs.  I cant seem to connect.  I get connection failure error.  I did a tracert and ping.  Destination could not be reached but there was a reply.  The trace showed that it made it outside of my isps area.  I think there is firewall on a router somewhere in the route is there a way to bypass it?

mark

Re: help

Morgan Storey
sorry forgot to reply all

It would probably be the router at the server end.

so: your pc --> your router--> internet -->vnc-server-router-->vnc server

If the Vnc-server-router is running nat (network address translation) you need to forward port 5900 through to your VNC server, check out www.portforward.com if the forward is already in this router, maybe 5900 isn't allowed out on your router. Check what ports are allowed out.
The best test is to use telnet to make connections to the VNC servers, eg: telnet servername 5900
if that does anything but come up pretty much blank then there is an issue somewhere, you can use www.grc.com sheilds up to scan from the vnc server end to see if the port is open and accepting connections.
If it is then it is your end at fault.

Another point is VNC is by no means secure, have a look at tunneling it across a vpn or ssh session.