confusing about the number of passwords

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

confusing about the number of passwords

Cristian Secară
While installing TightVNC (server) on Windows, it asks (or recommends)
for setting two passwords, one "Passwor for Remote Access" and one
"Administrative Password".

Ok, from this I understand that the first one is the password required
for remote connections, while the other is to protect unauthorized
access to change the server settings.

However, when I try to use it for the first time, I have to set again a
"Primary password" (which is unset right after install) and – in
Administration tab – a "Administrative passowrd" (which again is unset
and its checkbox unchecked).

So, in the end, how many passwords are in total ? Including the
view-only, are there 3 or 5 ?
If only 3, then why are the passwords from install process ignored ?
If 5, then what is the use of the two during install process ?

Thank you,
Cristi

--
Cristian Secară
http://www.secărică.ro

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
___________________________________________________________
TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: confusing about the number of passwords

Constantin Kaplinsky-3
Hello Cristian,

There are 3 passwords in each configuration, but there may be several
configurations: one service-mode (global), and one application-mode per
each user.

Please check if you run TightVNC Server as a service or as an
application. The passwords entered during the installation would be
saved in the global service-mode configuration. However, when you run
TightVNC Server as a user application, it uses a separate set of
configuration settings. Moreover, each user has their own
application-mode configuration.

Thank you.

--
Best Regards,
Constantin Kaplinsky
GlavSoft LLC


-------- Original Message --------
Subject: confusing about the number of passwords
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 14:54:20 +0200
From: Cristian Secară <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]

While installing TightVNC (server) on Windows, it asks (or recommends)
for setting two passwords, one "Passwor for Remote Access" and one
"Administrative Password".

Ok, from this I understand that the first one is the password required
for remote connections, while the other is to protect unauthorized
access to change the server settings.

However, when I try to use it for the first time, I have to set again a
"Primary password" (which is unset right after install) and – in
Administration tab – a "Administrative passowrd" (which again is unset
and its checkbox unchecked).

So, in the end, how many passwords are in total ? Including the
view-only, are there 3 or 5 ?
If only 3, then why are the passwords from install process ignored ?
If 5, then what is the use of the two during install process ?

Thank you,
Cristi

--
Cristian Secară
http://www.secărică.ro

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
___________________________________________________________
TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list




------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
___________________________________________________________
TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: confusing about the number of passwords

Cristian Secară
În data de Fri, 20 Jan 2017 12:41:47 +0700, Constantin Kaplinsky a
scris:

> There are 3 passwords in each configuration, but there may be several
> configurations: one service-mode (global), and one application-mode
> per each user.
>
> [...] The passwords entered during the installation would be saved in
> the global service-mode configuration. However, when you run TightVNC
> Server as a user application, it uses a separate set of configuration
> settings.

This has clarified things, but still something remains unclear to me:
- (assumption) I suppose I am running TightVNC as global service (on
Windows), because I can use the remote connection right after system
restart, before logging as any user; is my assumption correct ?
- (fact) then, as user, there is the settings interface with the tray
icon, where I can set the per-user passwords, including the
Administration passowrd for current user

Question 1: assuming I want to change the password for the global
service at a later time, where can this be changed ?

Question 2: it seems (?) that the password for remote control *before
user login* is the "Primary password" as set during application
install; if so, then what is the use of the "Administrative
passowrd" (again, during application install) ? Because if not logged
in there is no administrative interface to deal with.

Thank you,
Cristi

--
Cristian Secară
http://www.secărică.ro

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
___________________________________________________________
TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: confusing about the number of passwords

B. S.
If I'm reading you correctly, there is one aspect you might be missing:
vnc can run in service mode, OR application mode - but not both. (In
'normal' use.)[Application mode means manually started, essentially -
e.g. in user's startup folder, double-clicking on a desktop or menu
link, and so on.]

So, if you can vnc in before logging in, the application settings /
passwords aren't in play. And vice versa.

Also, user, in this case, means vnc user, not windows user. (vs vnc
admin) 1 vnc user per machine. (in service, vs application, mode.)

You can change the related settings by going into service mode config,
or application mode config.

The Administrative password you are encountering is the password
necessary to change the vnc settings on the machine.

So, you may have many admins, and need to let them all be able to vnc
people, but you won't want all the admins able to change the local vnc
settings (one admin could lock out another by accidentally changing the
password). Nor would you, usually, want the local user able to change
settings and lock out admins. [Easter egg: A user with a locking screen
saver can lock out admins. The admin can still log the person out or
reboot the machine, but the user will know something occurred. (Which is
all to the good.)]

HTH, and good luck on your journey ... we've all been there.


On 01/22/2017 04:40 AM, Cristian Secară wrote:

> În data de Fri, 20 Jan 2017 12:41:47 +0700, Constantin Kaplinsky a
> scris:
>
>> There are 3 passwords in each configuration, but there may be several
>> configurations: one service-mode (global), and one application-mode
>> per each user.
>>
>> [...] The passwords entered during the installation would be saved in
>> the global service-mode configuration. However, when you run TightVNC
>> Server as a user application, it uses a separate set of configuration
>> settings.
>
> This has clarified things, but still something remains unclear to me:
> - (assumption) I suppose I am running TightVNC as global service (on
> Windows), because I can use the remote connection right after system
> restart, before logging as any user; is my assumption correct ?
> - (fact) then, as user, there is the settings interface with the tray
> icon, where I can set the per-user passwords, including the
> Administration passowrd for current user
>
> Question 1: assuming I want to change the password for the global
> service at a later time, where can this be changed ?
>
> Question 2: it seems (?) that the password for remote control *before
> user login* is the "Primary password" as set during application
> install; if so, then what is the use of the "Administrative
> passowrd" (again, during application install) ? Because if not logged
> in there is no administrative interface to deal with.
>
> Thank you,
> Cristi
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, SlashDot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
___________________________________________________________
TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list