colormap.ini ?

Ted Carnevale
I'm running TightVNC's vncserver on a PC under Centos 5 (RHEL 5 clone)
and TightVNC's vncviewer on another PC under Win XP.  From the MSWin XP
I am launching (via command line) a program on the Linux PC that has a
GUI.  When that program starts, its xterm shows a series of warning
messages of the form

   couldn't lookup color "white". you must be missing the
   colormap.ini file or else the name isn't in it

(the other msgs report inability to "lookup" black, red, blue,
green, orange, brown, violet, yellow, and gray).  Sure enough,
when the program creates graphs that contain traces that are
supposed to be red, blue, green etc., these traces appear black
in the vncviewer window.

What should colormap.ini contain, and where should it be?

--Ted

RE: colormap.ini ?

Benjamin Evans
Ted,
   sounds like it could be the colour depth of the vncserver on the Linux PC. Relaunch it using the additional qualifier "-depth 24" & see if that helps.

Kind regards, Ben

> Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 20:26:11 -0500
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: colormap.ini ?
>
> I'm running TightVNC's vncserver on a PC under Centos 5 (RHEL 5 clone)
> and TightVNC's vncviewer on another PC under Win XP. From the MSWin XP
> I am launching (via command line) a program on the Linux PC that has a
> GUI. When that program starts, its xterm shows a series of warning
> messages of the form
>
> couldn't lookup color "white". you must be missing the
> colormap.ini file or else the name isn't in it
>
> (the other msgs report inability to "lookup" black, red, blue,
> green, orange, brown, violet, yellow, and gray). Sure enough,
> when the program creates graphs that contain traces that are
> supposed to be red, blue, green etc., these traces appear black
> in the vncviewer window.
>
> What should colormap.ini contain, and where should it be?
>
> --Ted

Re: colormap.ini ?

Ted Carnevale
Benjamin Evans wrote:
>    sounds like it could be the colour depth of the vncserver on the
> Linux PC. Relaunch it using the additional qualifier "-depth 24" & see
> if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion, Ben.  Unfortunately, I still get the full
array of
   couldn't lookup color "white". you must be missing the
   colormap.ini file or else the name isn't in it
   etc.
messages, and graphs that are supposed to contain colored traces
still show them as black lines.

--Ted