back and forth remote

Micheal Sherrill
Can one use TightVNC to remote access a work  computer from home laptop and vice-verse?

RE: back and forth remote

Bob McConnell
From: Micheal Sherrill

> Can one use TightVNC to remote access a work  computer from home laptop and vice-verse?

Maybe, but there are a couple of caveats you need to be aware of. VNC connections are plain text, so anyone that can capture the stream can then access your computer. It is best to use a VPN or at least tunnel through SSH if you are using the public Internet.

The connection path must be directly addressable. That is, there must not be any firewalls between here and there. If there are, they must be configured to pass the connection to your target computer, either using the VPN, SSH or VNC protocol.

I have set up my home firewall, on m0n0wall, to allow incoming VPN connections. I can then connect to it from the office, and use TightVNC client to connect to the X11vnc servers running on my workstations there. I have also done it the other way around, using the VPN that our IT group provides for all travelling and remote employees. Unfortunately, I can no longer do that since they upgraded my desktop to one of the overly wide monitors. I don't have anything at home with that much display real estate.

Bob McConnell

RE: back and forth remote

Bob McConnell

Michael,

Always copy the list on replies from or to the list. This allows more people with answers to see your questions.

I have not yet looked at 2.5, so I don’t know what, if anything has changed. The only documents for use over a VPN that I am aware of are earlier threads on this mailing list. I do know there are very few step-by-step instructions for setting up a VPN because there are simply too many variations and options for that approach. You either need to learn enough about it to  do it yourself, or find someone that knows what they are doing to do it for you.

Bob McConnell

Thank you for your prompt reply.  Is there a step-by-step document that could help guide me through Version 2.5?  I am knew at this.

> Can one use TightVNC to remote access a work  computer from home laptop and vice-verse?

Maybe, but there are a couple of caveats you need to be aware of. VNC connections are plain text, so anyone that can capture the stream can then access your computer. It is best to use a VPN or at least tunnel through SSH if you are using the public Internet.

The connection path must be directly addressable. That is, there must not be any firewalls between here and there. If there are, they must be configured to pass the connection to your target computer, either using the VPN, SSH or VNC protocol.

I have set up my home firewall, on m0n0wall, to allow incoming VPN connections. I can then connect to it from the office, and use TightVNC client to connect to the X11vnc servers running on my workstations there. I have also done it the other way around, using the VPN that our IT group provides for all travelling and remote employees. Unfortunately, I can no longer do that since they upgraded my desktop to one of the overly wide monitors. I don't have anything at home with that much display real estate.

Bob McConnell

Re: back and forth remote

Arfin Greebly

Quote:  Always copy the list on replies from or to the list. This allows more people with answers to see your questions.

Re: List Management --

I keep hoping that whoever manages the list will change the "Reply To:" address to point back to the list.

Not everyone uses an email client that knows how to "reply to list" instead of just "reply."

~~ G