Windows Connecting to Linux Simple (?) Question

Windows Connecting to Linux Simple (?) Question

Brian Tate

Hello,

I’m new to both Linux and TightVNC, and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this issue.

I’m running PCLinuxOS 2007, with whatever the latest version of TightVNC is, and then Windows XP on the other machine.

I’ve got everything installed, and I can connect to the Linux box through the VNC Viewer application, my question is:

I get an X for a cursor, and I’m stuck at a command line interface; is there any way for me to view the KDE Desktop?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Re: Windows Connecting to Linux Simple (?) Question

Maarten Lippmann
Hey Brian,

when you run the vncserver in linux, it looks for the file xstartup in
the hidden directory .vnc in the home directory of the user that started
the command to see what desktop software to run.
For example, if you start the command "vncserver -geometry 1024x768 :1"
as user jim, it will read /home/jim/.vnc/xstartup for programs to run at
session startup. If you start it as root (generally not a good idea) it
will be looking for xstartup in /root/.vnc/

You can modify that file with your favorite text editor to have it start
KDE, Gnome, xfce or whatever you prefer, as long as you have that
particular desktop software/window manager installed. Also, you can add
lines for programs you wish to run on startup; as you saw the default
starts a very basic window manager that has a cross for the mouse, with
a little program called an xterm (the command line interface you
referred to).

To start kde in stead, google 'start kde vnc' to find some hints on
different options for the xstartup file.

the first hit I just got:
-----
#!/bin/sh

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
startkde &
-----

should work for you.
Just replace the contents of your current xstartup file with the lines
above. Feel free to experiment with different commands.
If you feel you messed up, delete the file, and run vncserver again, it
will recreate the default xstartup file you have now.

maarten