Win 98 and file transfer? (fwd)

Hugh Sasse
I'm trying to find out two things which aren't clear from the FAQ, and
the Widows docs on the web site.
Does the free version of this program run on Windows 98?  Maybe an old release?
Does that release do file transfer?

I'm trying to get some data off an old PC, and I can't get anything else
to play nicely with it.  I'll spare you the details of what I've tried.
Needless to say the files I want to move are much larger than a floppy
and it doesn't have a CD writer.

        Thank you,
        Hugh

Re: Win 98 and file transfer? (fwd)

John Serink
If its a win98 machine the disks are FAT32...
Just take the hdd out and put it into another machine, you have your files.

Re: Win 98 and file transfer? (fwd)

Hugh Sasse
Thanks, but we aren't ready to take this apart just yet.  In fact we need
to generate more files on this old system until the replacement works...
So is that a roundabout way of saying "no, it won't work on Win 98"?
        Hugh

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, John Serink wrote:

> If its a win98 machine the disks are FAT32...
> Just take the hdd out and put it into another machine, you have your files.

Dave Ihnat
On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 04:37:47PM +0100, Hugh Sasse wrote:
> I'm trying to get some data off an old PC, and I can't get anything else
> to play nicely with it.  I'll spare you the details of what I've tried.
> Needless to say the files I want to move are much larger than a floppy
> and it doesn't have a CD writer.

I won't address the tightVNC issue, but will point out that it would be
slow.  Much slower than getting something like:

  http://www.granitedigital.com/usb20tosataideharddrivebridgeadapter.aspx

The standard kit is only $29.95 USD, and should be in anyone's toolkit.
Just pop the drive out, plug it into this and slurp off anything you need.
Then just return the drive to the original machine.  (This is also
invaluable when cleaning 'critters' off an infested machine--they don't get
a chance to 'wake up' and defend themselves.)

Cheers,
--
        Dave Ihnat
        President, DMINET Consulting, Inc.

Re: Win 98 and file transfer? (fwd)

Constantin Kaplinsky-2
Hello Hugh,

> Does the free version of this program run on Windows 98?  Maybe an old release?
> Does that release do file transfer?

Yes, TightVNC 1.3.10 should work fine on Windows 98. And it implements
file transfers as well (although it uses old file transfer protocol
which is not compatible with 2.0 servers).

--
Best Regards,
Constantin Kaplinsky

Re: Win 98 and file transfer? (fwd)

Hugh Sasse
Thanks, I'll bear that one in mind.
        Hugh

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Dave Ihnat wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 04:37:47PM +0100, Hugh Sasse wrote:
> > I'm trying to get some data off an old PC, and I can't get anything else
> > to play nicely with it.  I'll spare you the details of what I've tried.
> > Needless to say the files I want to move are much larger than a floppy
> > and it doesn't have a CD writer.
>
> I won't address the tightVNC issue, but will point out that it would be
> slow.  Much slower than getting something like:
>
>   http://www.granitedigital.com/usb20tosataideharddrivebridgeadapter.aspx
>
> The standard kit is only $29.95 USD, and should be in anyone's toolkit.
> Just pop the drive out, plug it into this and slurp off anything you need.
> Then just return the drive to the original machine.  (This is also
> invaluable when cleaning 'critters' off an infested machine--they don't get
> a chance to 'wake up' and defend themselves.)
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Dave Ihnat
> President, DMINET Consulting, Inc.

Re: Win 98 and file transfer? (fwd)

Hugh Sasse
Great.  When the job generating the data has finished, I'll explore
this further.  Thank you.
        Hugh

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Constantin Kaplinsky wrote:

> Hello Hugh,

> > Does the free version of this program run on Windows 98?  Maybe an old release?
> > Does that release do file transfer?
>
> Yes, TightVNC 1.3.10 should work fine on Windows 98. And it implements
> file transfers as well (although it uses old file transfer protocol
> which is not compatible with 2.0 servers).
>
> --
> Best Regards,
> Constantin Kaplinsky
> GlavSoft LLC

Re: Win 98 and file transfer? (fwd)

Arfin Greebly

I see that Constantin has confirmed file transfer should work.

Additionally, you can download Filezilla, a free FTP client and server
package that will run on Windows 98.  It's possible that you could need an
older version of Filezilla, but it's listed as supporting Win98.

I have a couple of machines at home that serve FTP, and it's very handy
when I don't want to be bothered with copying large files (or large sets
of files) to disk media for transfer.

You should be able to install the Filezilla FPT server on the Win98
machine and log into it from any of your other boxes.

If you can't get the TightVNC file transfer to work, you might try that.

~~ Garry

----- On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Hugh Sasse wrote: -----

> I'm trying to find out two things which aren't clear from the FAQ, and
> the Widows docs on the web site.
> Does the free version of this program run on Windows 98?  Maybe an old release?
> Does that release do file transfer?
>
> I'm trying to get some data off an old PC, and I can't get anything else
> to play nicely with it.  I'll spare you the details of what I've tried.
> Needless to say the files I want to move are much larger than a floppy
> and it doesn't have a CD writer.
>
>        Thank you,
>        Hugh

Re: Win 98 and file transfer? (fwd)

Michael D. Setzer II
I have two 98 machines that still have the older tightvnc and it
works fine. I haven't used the file transfer option of tightvnc. I
generally vnc into the machines, and then use ncftp to transfer
files out. I also have slimftp running on one of the machines, since
it has been a system for students to store files on for over 10
years.

One other options, is you might be able to boot from a live cd
running linux, and access the files via that since Fat 32 can be
mounted.

Date sent:       Tue, 2 Aug 2011 16:37:47 +0100 (BST)
From:           Hugh Sasse <[hidden email]>
To:             [hidden email]

> I'm trying to find out two things which aren't clear from the FAQ, and
> the Widows docs on the web site.
> Does the free version of this program run on Windows 98?  Maybe an old release?
> Does that release do file transfer?
>
> I'm trying to get some data off an old PC, and I can't get anything else
> to play nicely with it.  I'll spare you the details of what I've tried.
> Needless to say the files I want to move are much larger than a floppy
> and it doesn't have a CD writer.
>
>         Thank you,
>         Hugh

  Michael D. Setzer II -  Computer Science Instructor
  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:[hidden email]
  mailto:[hidden email]
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu (Original)
Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
Processing time:  32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI        11062946.725068   |   EINSTEIN     6267207.520851
ROSETTA      3436582.093982   |   ABC          7251980.432508

Re: Win 98 and file transfer? (fwd)

Hugh Sasse
I hadn't thought about that.  I could then configure it to allow download
from the machine only, for faculty machines only.  That might be even better.
Thank you.
        Hugh

On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Arfin Greebly wrote:

> I see that Constantin has confirmed file transfer should work.
>
> Additionally, you can download Filezilla, a free FTP client and server
> package that will run on Windows 98.  It's possible that you could need an
> older version of Filezilla, but it's listed as supporting Win98.
>
> I have a couple of machines at home that serve FTP, and it's very handy
> when I don't want to be bothered with copying large files (or large sets
> of files) to disk media for transfer.
>
> You should be able to install the Filezilla FPT server on the Win98
> machine and log into it from any of your other boxes.
>
> If you can't get the TightVNC file transfer to work, you might try that.
>

> ~~ Garry
>

> ----- On Tue, 2 Aug 2011, Hugh Sasse wrote: -----
> >
> > I'm trying to find out two things which aren't clear from the FAQ, and
> > the Widows docs on the web site.
> > Does the free version of this program run on Windows 98?  Maybe an old release?
> > Does that release do file transfer?
> >
> > I'm trying to get some data off an old PC, and I can't get anything else
> > to play nicely with it.  I'll spare you the details of what I've tried.
> > Needless to say the files I want to move are much larger than a floppy
> > and it doesn't have a CD writer.
> >
> >        Thank you,
> >        Hugh

Re: Win 98 and file transfer? (fwd)

Hugh Sasse
I was not aware of slimftp.  I've searched for it, and I'm getting
a number of results describing it as adware.

The linux approach looks interesting, and I might be able to connect
to the host I couldn't reach before that way.  Thank you.
        Hugh

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:

> I have two 98 machines that still have the older tightvnc and it
> works fine. I haven't used the file transfer option of tightvnc. I
> generally vnc into the machines, and then use ncftp to transfer
> files out. I also have slimftp running on one of the machines, since
> it has been a system for students to store files on for over 10
> years.
>
> One other options, is you might be able to boot from a live cd
> running linux, and access the files via that since Fat 32 can be
> mounted.
>
> On 2 Aug 2011 at 16:37, Hugh Sasse wrote:
>
> Date sent:       Tue, 2 Aug 2011 16:37:47 +0100 (BST)
> From:           Hugh Sasse <[hidden email]>
> To:             [hidden email]
> Subject:         Win 98 and file transfer? (fwd)
>
> > I'm trying to find out two things which aren't clear from the FAQ, and
> > the Widows docs on the web site.
> > Does the free version of this program run on Windows 98?  Maybe an old release?
> > Does that release do file transfer?
> >
> > I'm trying to get some data off an old PC, and I can't get anything else
> > to play nicely with it.  I'll spare you the details of what I've tried.
> > Needless to say the files I want to move are much larger than a floppy
> > and it doesn't have a CD writer.
> >
> >         Thank you,
> >         Hugh

>   Michael D. Setzer II -  Computer Science Instructor
>   Guam Community College  Computer Center
>   mailto:[hidden email]
>   mailto:[hidden email]
>   http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
>   Guam - Where America's Day Begins
>   G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
>   http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/
>
> http://setiathome.berkeley.edu (Original)
> Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
> Processing time:  32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
> (Total Hours: 287,489)
>
> BOINC@HOME CREDITS
> SETI        11062946.725068   |   EINSTEIN     6267207.520851
> ROSETTA      3436582.093982   |   ABC          7251980.432508

Re: Win 98 and file transfer? (fwd)

Michael D. Setzer II
http://www.whitsoftdev.com/slimftpd/

Is where I've gotten it from. I've never seen anything with it.

Date sent:       Tue, 2 Aug 2011 20:25:55 +0100 (BST)
From:           Hugh Sasse <[hidden email]>
To:             "Michael D. Setzer II"
<[hidden email]>
Subject:         Re: Win 98 and file transfer? (fwd)
Copies to:       [hidden email]

> [...]
> > (Total Hours: 287,489)
> >
> > BOINC@HOME CREDITS
> > SETI        11062946.725068   |   EINSTEIN     6267207.520851
> > ROSETTA      3436582.093982   |   ABC          7251980.432508

  Michael D. Setzer II -  Computer Science Instructor
  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:[hidden email]
  mailto:[hidden email]
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu (Original)
Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
Processing time:  32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI        11062946.725068   |   EINSTEIN     6267207.520851
ROSETTA      3436582.093982   |   ABC          7251980.432508

Hugh I've never used win98 so can't say.
I was going to suggest installing freesshd on it and using sftp to get the files but not sure if it will install on 98.

On older copy of ftpservu would work.

Thanks, but we aren't ready to take this apart just yet.  In fact we need
to generate more files on this old system until the replacement works...
So is that a roundabout way of saying "no, it won't work on Win 98"?
        Hugh

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, John Serink wrote:

> If its a win98 machine the disks are FAT32...
> Just take the hdd out and put it into another machine, you have your files.

Thanks, I'll look into those as well.