Quantcast

Where can I find tvnviewer.exe documentation?

Where can I find tvnviewer.exe documentation?

Kevin Wilder

Hi everyone,

My “google fu” is failing me. I have searched high and low for some documentation on how to use tvnviewer from the command line. I am able to use its basic functionality but I can’t seem to get the “–host” and “–port” command line options to work.

The tvnviewer application seems to default to using the settings under the [connection] header in the .vnc settings file rather than using the values specified on the command line. I can’t figure out how to over-ride the settings in the .vnc file. Removing the [connection] section from the .vnc file results in a “could not read options file” error, as does removing or leaving blank the port and host fields under that header.

How would I configure the options file so that I can specify the –host and –port options from the command line? Alternatively, where do I find documentation for tnvviewer (not to be confused with tnvserver).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kevin

RE: Where can I find tvnviewer.exe documentation?

John Serink

tvnviewer /?

TightVNC Viewer allows you to view and control remote hosts

where TightVNC Server or compatible software is running.

Command line syntax is the following.

Start the viewer:

  tvnviewer

Start the viewer and connect to the specified host:

  tvnviewer hostname::port [OPTIONS]

  tvnviewer -host=hostname [OPTIONS]

  tvnviewer -optionsfile=FILENAME [OPTIONS]

Start the viewer in the listening mode:

  tvnviewer -listen

Show this help on command line usage:

  tvnviewer -help

The following OPTIONS are supported (all of them should be used in the

form -option=VALUE where both option name and value are case-insensitive):

  -optionsfile    The specified file will be read and the corresponding

                        connection will be restored (use Save Connection Info

                        to create such files).

  -host              Connect to the specified host name.

  -port              Specify the port number.

  -password      Specify the password for authenticating to the server.

Example:

C:\Program Files\TightVNC>tvnviewer 192.1689.111.20::5900

Works fine.

RE: Where can I find tvnviewer.exe documentation?

Kevin Wilder

Hi,

Yes, thank you. As I mentioned in my question, I was able to get the basic functionality to work (such as in the example you provided where one enters “C:\Program Files\TightVNC>tvnviewer 192.1689.111.20::5900” on the command line).  The –help options that you’ve quoted cover those basics.

What doesn’t seem to be documented anywhere is the format of the .vnc options file used by tnvviewer. One can create an options file from within tnvviewer and pass that options file on the command line when starting the application. That options file contains the IP and port of the connection, and may also contain the password.

My question was whether or not it was possible to override the port and IP settings in the .vnc file with the –host and –port options from the command line.

Anyhow, I’ve found a work-around in the interim, so thanks everyone for their help.

Kevin

[...]

Mark Foley
I have the same question as Kevin.  What can go into the -optionsfile? The
option description provided by John Serink for this parameter says, "use Save
Connection Info to create such files", but there is no "Save Connection" option
on tvnviewer.exe ver. 2.7.10 for Windows, so I can't even save the options that
are currently set to see an example.

I'm looking for settings such as scale by, full screen mode, local cursor shape,
etc. These apparently cannot be set on the command line and the setting syntax
for these in the -optionsfile are unknown, if they exist.

Where is the optionsfile documented?

Thanks, Mark