Whatever happened to Karl Runge?

Mark Foley
Karl Runge (http://www.karlrunge.com), was the author of x11vnc and ssvnc and
apparently worked with and adapted tightVNC.

The x11vnc (http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/index.html) and ssvnc
(http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/ssvnc.html) tool have quite a lot of desirable
features, but development and his web content seem to have stopped around 2011.
I've attempted to contact him via email, but no response.  I thought perhaps
someone on the TVNC list might know what happened with him.

--Mark

Re: Whatever happened to Karl Runge?

Matthew Kozak
He helped us out with an x11vnc chained cert issue back in late Feb. 2010, so I can attest to him being around, and very approachable/communicative, as of 2010.

Out of curiosity, I Googled the heck out of him and it led me to property records where it looks like his wife took over ownership of record for their home in 2014.  That may not mean anything, but is not necessarily a good sign, given the dearth of any other activity/results?

FYI,
-Matt

On Nov 24, 2015, at 12:54 AM, Jay Ashworth <[hidden email]> wrote:

His website and CV do seem to have died 10 years ago, don't think. There's a 2008 vintage bug at Debian with his name as the reporter, but that was the newest thing I saw in a quick search.

On November 24, 2015 12:46:43 AM EST, Mark Foley <[hidden email]> wrote:
Karl Runge (http://www.karlrunge.com), was the author of x11vnc and ssvnc and
apparently worked with and adapted tightVNC.

The x11vnc (http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/index.html) and ssvnc
(http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/ssvnc.html) tool have quite a lot of desirable
features, but development and his web content seem to have stopped around 2011.
I've attempted to contact him via email, but no response. I thought perhaps
someone on the TVNC list might know what happened with him.

--Mark

Re: Whatever happened to Karl Runge?

Mark Foley
Hmmm, to bad he's vanished. The property records search that Matthew Kozak came
up with is a bad sign indeed. It could mean divorce, or worst, he died. In what
state/county did you find the property record? Maybe I'll search probate
records.

Anyway, regarding his VNC work, I wonder what can be done with that? The code
*might* be on github:
https://github.com/cloud9ers/libvncserver/blob/master/x11vnc/misc/enhanced_tightvnc_viewer/bin/util/ssvnc.tcl

If Karl has met with an untimely demise, how does the baton get passed in the
Open Source Universe? Would the TVNC community be able/willing to incorporate
Karl's stuff?

His tools have some nice features I've not yet seen in any VNC offering. The
ssvnc provides an easy to configure ssl tunnel and launches tightVNC, all with
one click. Lots of nice server features on x11vnc too. I'd hate to see all that
disappear into the Bit-o-sphere, that's one problem with single author shareware.

--Mark

> He helped us out with an x11vnc chained cert issue back in late Feb. 2010, so I can attest to him being around, and very approachable/communicative, as of 2010.
>
> Out of curiosity, I Googled the heck out of him and it led me to property records where it looks like his wife took over ownership of record for their home in 2014.  That may not mean anything, but is not necessarily a good sign, given the dearth of any other activity/results?
>
> FYI,
> -Matt
>
> On Nov 24, 2015, at 12:54 AM, Jay Ashworth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > His website and CV do seem to have died 10 years ago, don't think.  There's a
> > 2008 vintage bug at Debian with his name as the reporter, but that was the
> > newest thing I saw in a quick search.

> > On November 24, 2015 12:46:43 AM EST, Mark Foley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Karl Runge (http://www.karlrunge.com), was the author of x11vnc and ssvnc and
> > apparently worked with and adapted tightVNC.
> >
> > The x11vnc (http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/index.html) and ssvnc
> > (http://www.karlrunge.com/x11vnc/ssvnc.html) tool have quite a lot of desirable
> > features, but development and his web content seem to have stopped around 2011.
> > I've attempted to contact him via email, but no response.  I thought perhaps
> > someone on the TVNC list might know what happened with him.
> >
> > --Mark
> >

> > TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
> > To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
> > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list
> >
> > --
> > Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Re: Whatever happened to Karl Runge?

John Serink
Tigervnc.
It's a fork of tightVNC.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 23:44:03 +0000 John Serink <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tigervnc.
> It's a fork of tightVNC.

OK, I'll add Tigervnc to my experimentation list.  I toyed with it very briefly
and forget why I moved on -- probably simple lack of experience with VNC
generally.  Brief googling shows its last stable release in 2011 and I can't
seem to connect to the maillist site at the moment.  Seems like a lot of VNC
development effort for many of the flavor has tapered off since 2011.  Wonder
why.  Seems like just a few more tweaks would make VNC an awesome replacement
for RDC for normal (verus techie) users.  Our organization is looking at
replacing all Windows with Linux because Microsoft wants to force everyone into
The Cloud for email and sweep up all your personal data from your desktop in the
bargain; not what banking, investment and pension firms want.  Seems like lots
of companies would be resistant to that and be looking for alternatives.  Oh
well, the mysteries of life!

Thanks, --Mark

> Hmmm, to bad he's vanished. The property records search that Matthew Kozak came
> up with is a bad sign indeed. It could mean divorce, or worst, he died. In what
> state/county did you find the property record? Maybe I'll search probate
> records.
>
> Anyway, regarding his VNC work, I wonder what can be done with that? The code
> *might* be on github:
> https://github.com/cloud9ers/libvncserver/blob/master/x11vnc/misc/enhanced_tightvnc_viewer/bin/util/ssvnc.tcl
>
> If Karl has met with an untimely demise, how does the baton get passed in the
> Open Source Universe? Would the TVNC community be able/willing to incorporate
> Karl's stuff?
>
> His tools have some nice features I've not yet seen in any VNC offering. The
> ssvnc provides an easy to configure ssl tunnel and launches tightVNC, all with
> one click. Lots of nice server features on x11vnc too. I'd hate to see all that
> disappear into the Bit-o-sphere, that's one problem with single author shareware.
>
> --Mark

TigerVNC's last release was V1.50 from July 2015.