Vista x64 & Tight VNC 1.3.9

jurl88-torpedos
   Dear Sir,

I installed TightVNC 1.3.9 (As a server service) on Vista x64 architecture. The install process finished okay. But I have a little problem when i tried to connect a client using the vnc software or the web browser.

First of all the client answered me: "This server does not have a valid password enabled.Until password is set, incoming connections cannot be accepted." Then I saw that the registry key HKLM\Software\WOW6432Node\ORL\WinVNC3\Default\Password (Bin item) didn't exist.
Then I created it and introduced the same value of the HKCU\Software\ORL\WinVNC3\Password (Bin item). Following I restarted the service and when I connected to the server from the client I appeared the vnc password window, I introduced the password and said me: "Connection closed".

I tried doing the same process from the mozilla and the internet explorer web browser. It appeared me the java login page, I entered the password but similar result: "Network error: remote side closed connection".

When I had the first problem, message "This server does not have...", I made a port scanner over the 5900 TCP and it was opened, I think that the problem wasn't the port because I appeared the tight vnc password window and the login page when I tried to connect to the server.

I clap an eye on the registry keys called before, exactly on their permission settings. I change some keys permission for giving total control but nothing matters,  I  restart the service but nothing happens.
Any idea? Thanks in advance.
Manel

Sé un Mejor Amante del Cine
¿Quieres saber cómo? ¡Deja que otras personas te ayuden! .

Re: Vista x64 & Tight VNC 1.3.9

Morgan Storey
Yep basically Vista has put restrictions on services interacting with the desktop. This means VNC will work if started not as a service but just as a program. There is a work-a-round obviously as the built in remote assistance, RAadmin and RealVNC's paid for versions work, but it has yet to be released open source so the whole world can benefit from it.

On 8/9/07, R <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 05:41:06PM +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
[snip tale of trying to get TightVMC wokring on Vista]

You did of course search the list archives and have read the email from
Constantin Kaplinsky in a thread entitled "Problem with Version 3.9 and
Vista" dated Sun, 27 May 2007 10:41:02 +0700 where he states:

"TightVNC has issues with Vista compatibility. This will be investigated
in the nearest weeks."

You could also of course have read the tightvnc FAQ at

http://www.tightvnc.com/faq.html

where the very first entry is one answering the question

"Does TightVNC work on Windows Vista?"

and the answer is effectively "No".

<sigh>

R.
--
             Don't walk in front of me - I may not follow.
                Don't walk behind me - I may not lead.