Viewer and server on same desktop

Don Schmitt
Hello,

I'm hoping to implement a mechanism for viewing Win32 application windows within web pages running on the same desktop (via HTML5 canvas).

As a first step, I'm investigating whether a VNC viewer can be made to view and control an application window on the same machine without the server application window being the foreground window.

I tried this with TightVNC, but (rightfully) any input I attempt in the VNC viewer results in the server application stealing focus, so there's no way to send input via the client and have the server application running in the background.

What do you think about the possibility of modifying the server source so the keyboard / mouse events are raised to the server window but the focus is never stolen by the server window so the viewer window can be used to provide the input?

Thanks!

Re: Viewer and server on same desktop

Arfin Greebly

Don,

The fundamental problem you're running into is that Windows only runs a
single session, basically "session :0" or, alternatively, "screen :0"
which is why, in Windows, the VNC session is always the primary screen and
keyboard.

What you're describing would, as I understanding it, require multiple user
session, such as are available in a Linux environment.

I've been able to do this sort of thing in Linux, where I start a virtual
session with VNC server, and then use the VNC viewer from session :0 (the
main user session) to open the virtual session.

At home, for example, I have virtual sessions running as :1, :3, and :5,
each running at a different resolution so I can use the appropriate screen
size for whatever I'm doing.  I have no trouble running a VNC viewer into
any of the sessions, and it just acts like I'm controlling a different
machine (the joys of true multitasking).

Now, if you have a VM of some kind running on your Windows box, you could
launch VNC server in one Windows session (one VM session) while running
the viewer in the other (VM) session, and "remote" into the other VM
desktop.

It's a feature that's native to the Unix/Linux world, but a VM can give
you similar functionality in the Windows world.

Hope this is of some use.

~~ Garry