VNC problem from outside

bull-5
Hello,

I have Win XP PC in a local network at my office and what to control it
from home via VNC.
The tunnel does work and I can ping my office PC from home.
I can open a VNC to my PC from the PCs inside the local network at my
office, but *not* from home.
I can open a VNC connection from home to other PCs in the local network.

I think it's obvious the problem is inside my office PC .
I switched off win XP firewall, but that did not help.
There is no other firewall.
I use also mcafee Virusscanner, but if the problem is there it should
show off when I call from inside, too

Thanks for any help

Urs Bögli

Re: VNC problem from outside

Frank Bax
bull wrote:
> I have Win XP PC in a local network at my office and what to control it
> from home via VNC.
> The tunnel does work and I can ping my office PC from home.
> I can open a VNC to my PC from the PCs inside the local network at my
> office, but *not* from home.
> I can open a VNC connection from home to other PCs in the local network.
>
> I think it's obvious the problem is inside my office PC .

No, it is not obvious; the problem is more likely the router at office.

You didn't say how you are getting through the router at office.  That
device is configured (by design) to stop this type of activity; so the
config must be modified in order to allow vnc traffic through.

Does your second "I can open.." sentence refer to home-local or
office-local?

If your last sentences refers to office-local; then my guess is that
whatever you are using to get through router is misconfigured for your
computer and not the others.

If your last sentence refers to home-local; then it sounds like you
cannot access any office computer from outside of office, which means
you have not figured out how to get past the router.  This is a common
newbie problem.  You need to either (a) create a tunnel; or (b)
port-forward on the router.  Both of these options are well documented
in various faq and help pages.

Re: VNC problem from outside

bull-5

>  bull wrote:
>
>  > I have Win XP PC in a local network at my office and what to control it
>
>  > from home via VNC.
>
>  > The tunnel does work and I can ping my office PC from home.
>
>  > I can open a VNC to my PC from the PCs inside the local network at my
>
>  > office, but *not* from home.
>
>  > I can open a VNC connection from home to other PCs in the local network.
>
>  > I think it's obvious the problem is inside my office PC .
>

> From: Frank Bax
>
>  No, it is not obvious; the problem is more likely the router at office.
>
>  You didn't say how you are getting through the router at office.  That
>
>  device is configured (by design) to stop this type of activity; so the
>
>  config must be modified in order to allow vnc traffic through.

I think it is as I'm able to connect from home to another PC in my
business network.
>  Does your second "I can open.." sentence refer to home-local or
>
>  office-local?

 From home to office network

>  If your last sentences refers to office-local; then my guess is that
>
>  whatever you are using to get through router is misconfigured for your
>
>  computer and not the others.

I do not understand how this can be configured to distinct between
different PCs in the network behind the firewall/router - any hints
where to search for??

Configuration:

PC-Home>>>cable modem >>> Internet (vpn tunnel)>>>cable modem >>>
firewall PC >>> business internal network >>> several PCs

Thanks for any help
Urs Bögli