Quantcast

VNC not working on MSI install

Steve Nutbeen
Hi.  We use TightVNC in our software to share part of it with customers.  We deploy our software installation through both ClickOnce and MSI builds.  We use port 5900 as standard.

We have a German client that has installed both versions.  In the ClickOnce version, VNC works fine.  However, in the MSI version, VNC does not work.

In the MSI version I can see port 5900 starting up in netstat but it never gets past status 'WARTEND' (as it is a German machine):

 TCP    127.0.0.1:5900         VDL001851DE:0          ABHÖREN
 TCP    127.0.0.1:5900         VDL001851DE:49269      WARTEND

I'm not 100% sure which status this is meant to be but the end user does not see the software shared area.

I've tried various things like checking port rules, switching off firewalls, running the software as admin, changing folder permissions etc but nothing works.  It could be the client's network but I'd think any network settings preventing data connections over the port would affect the ClickOnce version of the software as well.  The software is essentially the same, just installed in different locations on the PC.

Running the WinVNC exe on ClickOnce the WinVNC log file normally has this data;

Thu May 12 15:07:25 2016
vncServer.cpp: trying port number 5900
Thu May 12 15:07:26 2016
vncSockConnect.cpp: started socket connection thread
Thu May 12 16:09:42 2016
WallpaperUtils.cpp: unable to fetch Active Desktop options:80004001
vncMenu.cpp: quitting from WM_DESTROY
WinVNC.cpp: shutting down server
vncServer.cpp: shutting down server object
vncSockConnect.cpp: quitting socket connection thread
vncServer.cpp: shutting down server object(4)

but running on the MSI version I get this;

Fri May 13 09:42:11 2016
vncServer.cpp: trying port number 5900
Fri May 13 09:42:12 2016
vncSockConnect.cpp: started socket connection thread
Fri May 13 09:42:22 2016
vncSockConnect.cpp: accepted connection from 127.0.0.1
vncClient.cpp: client connected : 127.0.0.1 (id 1)
vncClient.cpp: performing VNC authentication
VideoDriver.cpp: vncVideoDriver::CheckVersion: ESC_QVI not supported by this version of Mirage
vncService.cpp: SelectHDESK failed to close old desktop 5c, error=170
vncServer.cpp: failed to initialize desktop object
vncDesktop.cpp: failed to ReleaseDC(m_hrootdc)
WallpaperUtils.cpp: unable to fetch Active Desktop options:80004001
Fri May 13 09:42:32 2016
WallpaperUtils.cpp: unable to fetch Active Desktop options:80004001
vncMenu.cpp: quitting from WM_DESTROY
WinVNC.cpp: shutting down server
vncServer.cpp: shutting down server object
vncSockConnect.cpp: quitting socket connection thread
vncServer.cpp: shutting down server object(4)

Would welcome any suggestions on what to look at next!

Steve