Quantcast

Using TightVNC to connect from PC to Mac. How to use the Mac [option] key with PC keyboard?

Using TightVNC to connect from PC to Mac. How to use the Mac [option] key with PC keyboard?

Adi Omry
Hi.
I am using TightVNC on a Windows 10 laptop.
I use it to connect remotely to a Mac computer (OS X ver 10.10.5).

My issue is with using Mac keyboard modifer keys for keyboard shortcuts — specifically the [option] key for the Mac.

My PC laptop keyboard is set up so that the keys to the left of the space bar are (from left to right): [Ctrl]  |  [Windows key]  |  [Alt]
The [Ctrl] key on my PC activates the Mac [control] key.
The [Alt] key on my PC activates the Mac [command] key, which makes sense considering the location of both keys.
It would make perfect sense, given the above, that the [Windows key] on the PC would activate the [option] key on the Mac, since they are both located in between the [control]/[Ctrl] key and the [Alt]/[command] key, but unfortunately when I press it, it just brings up the Windows "Start Menu", and it apparently does not activate the Mac [option] key.
I also tried using the [Alt] key to the right of the space bar, but it too does not activate the Mac [option] key.
Does anyone know how I can access the Mac [option] key using my PC keyboard, on TightVNC?
Thanks