Two questions on TightVNC

robert.pes
Hi,

I'm developing a scriptable RFB client called VNCRobot which is used for
automated testing. I was wondering whether you could help me to answer
two simple questions?

1. When I connect my client to a VNC server, is it possible to identify
that it's a TightVNC server? The RFB protocol doesn't support anything
like that but are there any protocol extensions or TightVNC specific
formats of standard RFB messages that would allow me to determine
whether I am talking with a TightVNC server? I'm considering to
implement the file transfer (request from the community) and this
feature should be switched on only when the remote server is TightVNC.

2. Is there any way to make the server to send the ServerCutText on
Linux? I'm running TightVNC on Ubuntu 8.10 (GNOME) and selecting of a
text followed by a Ctrl+C never fires a ServerCutText message. A few
users from the community reported that it does work on Windows.

Thanks,

Robert Pes
http://www.vncrobot.com

Re: Two questions on TightVNC

Adam Tkac
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 02:04:13PM +0100, robert.pes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm developing a scriptable RFB client called VNCRobot which is used for
> automated testing. I was wondering whether you could help me to answer
> two simple questions?
>
> 1. When I connect my client to a VNC server, is it possible to identify
> that it's a TightVNC server? The RFB protocol doesn't support anything
> like that but are there any protocol extensions or TightVNC specific
> formats of standard RFB messages that would allow me to determine
> whether I am talking with a TightVNC server? I'm considering to
> implement the file transfer (request from the community) and this
> feature should be switched on only when the remote server is TightVNC.

Of course. During initialization TightVNC compatible server offers
"Tight" security type (RFB 3.8 protocol, section 6.1.2).

> 2. Is there any way to make the server to send the ServerCutText on
> Linux? I'm running TightVNC on Ubuntu 8.10 (GNOME) and selecting of a
> text followed by a Ctrl+C never fires a ServerCutText message. A few
> users from the community reported that it does work on Windows.

I think "vncconfig" utility has to run on server to make clipboard
working.

Regards, Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.

Re: Two questions on TightVNC

Peter Rosin
Den 2009-02-12 14:58 skrev Adam Tkac:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 02:04:13PM +0100, robert.pes wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm developing a scriptable RFB client called VNCRobot which is used for
>> automated testing. I was wondering whether you could help me to answer
>> two simple questions?
>>
>> 1. When I connect my client to a VNC server, is it possible to identify
>> that it's a TightVNC server? The RFB protocol doesn't support anything
>> like that but are there any protocol extensions or TightVNC specific
>> formats of standard RFB messages that would allow me to determine
>> whether I am talking with a TightVNC server? I'm considering to
>> implement the file transfer (request from the community) and this
>> feature should be switched on only when the remote server is TightVNC.
>
> Of course. During initialization TightVNC compatible server offers
> "Tight" security type (RFB 3.8 protocol, section 6.1.2).

That does not check if the server is in fact a TightVNC server. It
only checks if the server supports the "Tight" security type. Yes,
there are other servers in the wild that support that security type.
But since what you really want to check is if the server supports
file transfers according to the Tight protocol extension that does
not really matter. You should check if the server claims to support
the protocol messages you want to use during the Tight protocol
negotiation.

Cheers,
Peter

Re: Two questions on TightVNC

Hello Adam,

>> 2. Is there any way to make the server to send the ServerCutText on
>> Linux? I'm running TightVNC on Ubuntu 8.10 (GNOME) and selecting of a
>> text followed by a Ctrl+C never fires a ServerCutText message. A few
>> users from the community reported that it does work on Windows.
>
> I think "vncconfig" utility has to run on server to make clipboard
> working.

No released versions of TightVNC for Unix/Linux included any utility
called vncconfig. Probably you are talking about the sources in trunk,
but that has never been released as TightVNC yet.

Re: Two questions on TightVNC

robert.pes
I agree that the TightVNC encoding is not enough to identify the server.
It is a good hint but not sufficient.

I can of course try one of the file transfer messages. My concern is
that if the remote server is not TightVNC, the connection runs out of
sync and must be reset. Unfortunately this is what I want to avoid. I
was hoping to find a solution to identify the server without eventual
reconnection.

Robert

Peter Rosin wrote:

> Den 2009-02-12 14:58 skrev Adam Tkac:
>> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 02:04:13PM +0100, robert.pes wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm developing a scriptable RFB client called VNCRobot which is used
>>> for automated testing. I was wondering whether you could help me to
>>> answer two simple questions?
>>>
>>> 1. When I connect my client to a VNC server, is it possible to
>>> identify that it's a TightVNC server? The RFB protocol doesn't
>>> support anything like that but are there any protocol extensions or
>>> TightVNC specific formats of standard RFB messages that would allow
>>> me to determine whether I am talking with a TightVNC server? I'm
>>> considering to implement the file transfer (request from the
>>> community) and this feature should be switched on only when the
>>> remote server is TightVNC.
>>
>> Of course. During initialization TightVNC compatible server offers
>> "Tight" security type (RFB 3.8 protocol, section 6.1.2).
>
> That does not check if the server is in fact a TightVNC server. It
> only checks if the server supports the "Tight" security type. Yes,
> there are other servers in the wild that support that security type.
> But since what you really want to check is if the server supports
> file transfers according to the Tight protocol extension that does
> not really matter. You should check if the server claims to support
> the protocol messages you want to use during the Tight protocol
> negotiation.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

RE: Two questions on TightVNC

James Weatherall
Robert,

I think Peter's point is that you can use the TightVNC-protocol indicator (the security-type) to detect that the server supports the TightVNC protocol extension mechanism, and then use that to detect whether file-transfer is supported.

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 09:01:12PM +0600, Constantin Kaplinsky wrote:

> Hello Adam,

> >> 2. Is there any way to make the server to send the ServerCutText on
> >> Linux? I'm running TightVNC on Ubuntu 8.10 (GNOME) and selecting of a
> >> text followed by a Ctrl+C never fires a ServerCutText message. A few
> >> users from the community reported that it does work on Windows.
> >
> > I think "vncconfig" utility has to run on server to make clipboard
> > working.
>
> No released versions of TightVNC for Unix/Linux included any utility
> called vncconfig. Probably you are talking about the sources in trunk,
> but that has never been released as TightVNC yet.

Ah, right you are, sorry confusions.

Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.

Re: Two questions on TightVNC

Hello Robert,

> I can of course try one of the file transfer messages.

No, you should not try file transfer messages. You should enable
TightVNC protocol extensions via the Tight security type, and that will
make the server advertise all supported non-standard messages and encodings.

TightVNC protocol extensions are defined here:

http://vnc-tight.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/vnc-tight/orig/trunk/vnc_winsrc/rfb/rfbproto.h?revision=2927&view=markup#l_189

Read from "Negotiation of the Security Type" to "Server Interaction
Capabilities Message".

Re: Two questions on TightVNC

Gaël Duval-2
Hi

not sure that it's exactly what you're looking for but you may want to
try autocutsel which is working pretty well:
http://www.nongnu.org/autocutsel/
http://freshmeat.net/projects/autocutsel/

Regards

        Gaël Duval