Tightvncserver in cron

Vernau Mier
Hi everyone,

Sometimes, in low-end virtual servers, tightvncserver seems to crash and I've to kill the process and start it again through ssh. I'm trying to automate this process using cron, to make it kill the process once a day and start it again, however it seems cron is not compatible with tightvncserver, as it does nothing:

I'm trying this:
58 4 * * * tightvncserver -kill :1
59 4 * * * vncserver :1 -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -pixelformat rgb565

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Vernau

Re: Tightvncserver in cron

Dennis Rockwell
On 03/20/2015 06:23 AM, Vernau Mier wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Sometimes, in low-end virtual servers, tightvncserver seems to crash
> and I've to kill the process and start it again through ssh. I'm
> trying to automate this process using cron, to make it kill the
> process once a day and start it again, however it seems cron is not
> compatible with tightvncserver, as it does nothing:
>
> I'm trying this:
> 58 4 * * * tightvncserver -kill :1
> 59 4 * * * vncserver :1 -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -pixelformat rgb565

Give it a full pathname.   /usr/bin/... or wherever it was installed.
You may also need LD_LIBRARY_PATH or other things that your personal
shell startup may set.

Are you sure you want to blow away the server context every night? Or is
this for transient uses only?

Dennis

Re: Tightvncserver in cron

Vernau Mier
I think I found the issue.. it seems the crash of tightvncserver is because a DDoS attack, and the server provider just disables it after many failed attempts. I'm gonna try changing the default ports to see if this way I can solve it.

Any other idea?

Thanks!

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 8:07 PM, Dennis Rockwell <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03/20/2015 06:23 AM, Vernau Mier wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Sometimes, in low-end virtual servers, tightvncserver seems to crash
> and I've to kill the process and start it again through ssh. I'm
> trying to automate this process using cron, to make it kill the
> process once a day and start it again, however it seems cron is not
> compatible with tightvncserver, as it does nothing:
>
> I'm trying this:
> 58 4 * * * tightvncserver -kill :1
> 59 4 * * * vncserver :1 -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -pixelformat rgb565

Give it a full pathname.   /usr/bin/... or wherever it was installed.
You may also need LD_LIBRARY_PATH or other things that your personal
shell startup may set.

Are you sure you want to blow away the server context every night? Or is
this for transient uses only?

Dennis

Vernau Mier
(+34) 658 97 95 59