TightVNC not passing on ALT+TAB

Zev Spitz
I have a TightVNC server (v. 2.7.10) and client (same version) both
running on Windows 8.1 machines. When I press ALT+TAB (in fullscreen
mode), nothing happens on the server machine. The client machine also
doesn't respond (unlike when the client is in windowed mode, where the
client machine picks up the ALT+TAB).

I would guess that the client is intercepting the ALT+TAB but not
passing it through to ther server, or that the server is ignoring the
ALT+TAB.

Thanks in advance,
Zev Spitz

Re: TightVNC not passing on ALT+TAB

Arfin Greebly

Zev,

Just curious, what key combinations have you tried?

I have found that with certain products in the VNC family there are
pass-through key combinations that substitute for some of the key
combinations that Windows likes to intercept.  For example, sending
Ctrl+Alt+Del by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Ins.

What is the behavior when you press Shift+Alt+Tab?  Behavior of Alt-Tab
when Ctrl is included (Ctrl+Alt+Tab)?  How about WinKey+Tab?  And finally
what about Ctrl+WinKey+Tab?  Are those trapped locally or passed through?

What is the state of the other "shift" keys, e.g. CapsLock, NumLock?  Just
asking this because reconciling shift/state keys between VNC client and
host can be excessive fun when a connection begins with those out of sync.

What is the behavior of Alt+Esc when in full-screen mode?  Typically it is
passed through and causes the top host window to "push to the back" of the
screen.  Sometimes however, I've had it send the VNC window to the back.

I don't currently have a Windows 8 environment to test VNC, so I'm very
interested in what you discover here.

Thanks,

~~ Garry