TightVNC for collaborative problem solving or tutoring?

TightVNC for collaborative problem solving or tutoring?

jhsachs
I'm looking for an application that I can use for long-distance
tutoring or collaborative problem solving.  TightVNC has been
recommended to me.  I saw a reference to tutoring in its information
pages, but the pages are written for remote access or remote support
applications, and I'm having trouble understanding how a
collaborative scenario would play out.

Collaborative applications require that either user be able to
control the client machine.  Because the users lack the cues that
physical presence would provide, they need some kind of token which
they can easily pass back and forth, to prevent them from both trying
to operate the client at the same time.

For many applications it's important that the two systems be able to
act as clients concurrently.  For example, there may be files on both
machines that the users need to work on collaboratively. The
information pages mention something called a reverse connection, but
didn't explain it -- is that what it's for?

RE: TightVNC for collaborative problem solving or tutoring?

Dustin Hamilton
Well VNC provides for the ability to lock-out remote input for a certain
time after inactivity. Meaning if you were using the system, remote
input is ignored... then after [for example] 3 sec, remote input is
allowed again...

I guess just keep in mind that VNC in meant as a remote-access tool and
while you can do what you're asking with it (within reason), try to keep
in mind that it isn't the intended (read: designed) use.

Dustin Hamilton : Quest Software