TightVNC Version 1.3.9 - Development under Visual Studio 2008 - Compilationerror

TightVNC Version 1.3.9 - Development under Visual Studio 2008 - Compilationerror

Reger, Franz, Springer Transport Media

Hi,

I have a problem in compiling the TightVNC Version 1.3.9 under VS 2008 / C++.

I get the message that the VC.90.pdb and VC90.idb files could not be deleted when I compiled WinVNC and I should

ensure that these files are not open or write-protected.

I tried to find the  reason in the configuration but didn`t find a solution.

The compilation of the librarys (libjpeg, omnithread, VNCHooks and zlib) works when

they are complied separately. But when I want to make WinVNC I get the errors.

Regards,

Franz Reger

Re: TightVNC Version 1.3.9 - Development under Visual Studio 2008 - Compilationerror

Bob Friesenhahn
On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Reger, Franz, Springer Transport Media wrote:

> I have a problem in compiling the TightVNC Version 1.3.9 under VS 2008 /
> C++.
>
> I get the message that the VC.90.pdb and VC90.idb files could not be
> deleted when I compiled WinVNC and I should
>
> ensure that these files are not open or write-protected.
>
> I tried to find the  reason in the configuration but didn`t find a
> solution.

This is likely a bug in VS 2008.  Residual processes are left behind
during compilation which don't complete and quit like they should.  I
suspect a race condition.  I have one project which requires that I
restart the IDE before I can clean or rebuild.

Note that it is possible that use of a SMB/CIFS network may make this
problem worse.

Bob
======================================
Bob Friesenhahn

Re: TightVNC Version 1.3.9 - Development under Visual Studio 2008 - Compilationerror

Hello Franz,

> I have a problem in compiling the TightVNC Version 1.3.9 under VS 2008 /
> C++.
>
> I get the message that the VC.90.pdb and VC90.idb files could not be
> deleted when I compiled WinVNC and I should
> ensure that these files are not open or write-protected.

This is a known problem. When different projects of the same solution
use the same intermediate directory, Visual Studio tries to write
different vc90.pdb files (per each project) to the same place. That
results in file sharing violation.

I wonder why they have chosen fixed file names (vc90.*). The problem
never existed if the file names corresponded to project names.

The solution is to use different intermediate directories for different
projects within a solution. TightVNC 1.4.x will have project files
corrected.