TightVNC ActiveX Control Development Starting

TightVNC ActiveX Control Development Starting

Oscar Usifer
Folks,

I'm on the way to develop an TightVNC ActiveX control that enables VNC viewer capabilities downloaded and run through Internet Explorer (IE) versions. I would like to add a feature that allows recording of the session for future playback of VNC network packets runnable at some intermediate network node. As I get closer to target, I will provide source code updates. I am developing using MSVC++ 2005, and hope to have it running first for Xp, then later Windows 2003 server, and finally determine how to get it working/integrated with Vista. I would like to also figure out a distribution client system for Linux and Apple OSes (since ActiveX is a Microsoft native technology).

Thanks,
OSC

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?

Re: TightVNC ActiveX Control Development Starting

Oscar Usifer
Just to clarify, the save VNC network packet feature would produce a file, which could be replayed similar to a shockwave, mpeg3, etc and playable using common viewers, e.g. quicktime, flash, etc. Where this info would be captured is easily on the remote control viewing side, or any intermediate node.

I don't necessarily know what has been done in these areas, but I assume that since it's not part of the current TightVNC distros, it's not yet been added.

Note that I am aware that Linux and Apple has ssh, and sshd servers, but there is still utility to distributing the viewer via some kind of web wrapper-binary that runs similar to ActiveX for uniformity. I just don't know how this is best done at this time.

Thanks,
OSC

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?

Re: TightVNC ActiveX Control Development Starting

Bob Friesenhahn
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Oscar Usifer wrote:

> Just to clarify, the save VNC network packet feature would produce a
> file, which could be replayed similar to a shockwave, mpeg3, etc and
> playable using common viewers, e.g. quicktime, flash, etc. Where
> this info would be captured is easily on the remote control viewing
> side, or any intermediate node.

There is a hacked version of VNC which captures the protocol into
FLASH format.  The playback is rather nice.

http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/vnc2swf/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vnc2swf/

Bob

Re: TightVNC ActiveX Control Development Starting

ttw+vnc
On 17.01-11:44, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
[ ... ]
> > Just to clarify, the save VNC network packet feature would produce a
> > file, which could be replayed similar to a shockwave, mpeg3, etc and
> > playable using common viewers, e.g. quicktime, flash, etc. Where
> > this info would be captured is easily on the remote control viewing
> > side, or any intermediate node.
>
> There is a hacked version of VNC which captures the protocol into
> FLASH format.  The playback is rather nice.

not been following the thread so this may have been noted already but
the java viewer does all this ... though i haven't actually tested
the recording features.

Re: TightVNC ActiveX Control Development Starting

Hello Oscar,

> I'm on the way to develop an TightVNC ActiveX control that enables
> VNC viewer capabilities downloaded and run through Internet Explorer
> (IE) versions.

Some long time ago (when current TightVNC version was 1.2.4) we worked
on an ActiveX control for the TightVNC project. You might want to have a
look:

  http://www.tightvnc.com/tightvncx.html

And here you can find the source:

  ftp://www.tightvnc.com/download/tightvncx-src-0.0.2.zip

> I would like to add a feature that allows recording of
> the session for future playback of VNC network packets runnable at
> some intermediate network node.

Here is a bit of information on VNC session recording/playback:

=== cut ===
* How do I record and replay saved VNC sessions?

There is a number of programs that can record and replay VNC sessions.
Here is what's I'm aware of at the moment:

  1. Tim Waugh's "rfbproxy". It's a simple program which can both save
     and replay saved VNC session. In the record mode, it sits between
     a server and a viewer, and simply records all the data received
     from the server. In the playback mode, it acts as a VNC server,
     and sends previously saved data to a client (in other words, it
     performs playback in an external viewer). It's a Unix program,
     and it's free (GPL license). The source is available here:

       http://cyberelk.net/tim/rfbproxy/

  2. VNC Reflector by HorizonLive. It acts as a proxy running between
     servers and viewers, and it can save sessions too. It's more
     complicated, saves framebuffer updates only, and always uses
     24-bit color in saved sessions. VNC Reflector does not replay
     sessions. It's also a Unix program and free (BSD-type license).
     The source is available here:

       http://sourceforge.net/projects/vnc-reflector/

  3. TightVNC Java viewer. It has a feature to save sessions when run
     as a standalone application (not an applet). Both 1.2.9 and
     1.3.9 versions can do that. The TightVNC Java viewer is
     available here:

       http://www.tightvnc.com/download.html

  4. RFB Player 1.0 (based on TightVNC Java viewer). This is a
     standalone session playback program written in Java. However, it
     has a limitation: inefficient positioning in the VNC data stream.
     In any case, it's available here:

       http://www.tightvnc.com/tmp/rfbplayer-1.0.0.zip

  5. rfbplayer in the development version of TightVNC (not finished,
     not released yet). The sources are available in the Subversion
     repository:

       http://sourceforge.net/svn/?group_id=14067

File formats are basically compatible between these programs
(especially if 24-bit color format is used for recording). The file
format is defined at the top of the rfbproxy.c file of Tim Waugh's
rfbproxy.
=== cut ===

Re: TightVNC ActiveX Control Development Starting

Oscar Usifer
I was looking for an VNC ActiveX control that enabled server capabilities. Is there any such control that does this with source code that is part of the TightVNC project? Unfortuantly I was not able to get the TightVNCX control working.

Thanks,
OSC

Mario Ohnewald-2
Hi,

Oscar Usifer schrieb:
I was looking for an VNC ActiveX control that enabled server capabilities. Is there any such control that does this with source code that is part of the TightVNC project? Unfortuantly I was not able to get the TightVNCX control working.

What do you mean by "VNC ActiveX control that enabled server capabilities" ?
As far as i understood it you (the client) only needs to browse to a page, accept or install that activex element and you will be able to connect to that desktop like UltraVNC Single click?

Thanks,
Mario
Thanks,
OSC

Re: TightVNC ActiveX Control Development Starting

Oscar Usifer
Folks,

TightVNC requires both a server and client. The server will enable clients to connect and remotely control the system. I need an ActiveX TightVNC Server. Several commercial products already accomplish this, but I feel this is ready for open source, and I would be able to contribute this. I may be mistaken in that it *is* already in the TightVNC repositories, but from the research I haven't yet found it.

Thanks,
OSC

RE: TightVNC ActiveX Control Development Starting

Mikell F van der Laan
Count me in, I'll code on it if we select to do it in C++.

RE: TightVNC ActiveX Control Development Starting

Oscar Usifer
Hey Guys,

Just to update on progress -- using MSVC++ v. 2005, I created a new MFC ActiveX project, added the existing WinVNC project, converted WinVNC to create a lib. Back in the ActiveX project, in my Control initialization code call WinVNCAppMain();, which does actually start up the VNC server when the ActiveX control is placed into the ActiveX Control Test Container, but starts it up in "Not listening" mode from vncMenu::SendTrayMsg(DWORD msg, BOOL flash) call. It looks like if I call vncServer::SockConnect(true) from the appropriate logic place, then I can get this control server off the ground initially. Any ideas how the quickest way is to do this? Also, how can I start getting the control into TightVNC repo so I get the rest of the interested community involved in this rapid dev process??

Thanks,
OSC

CxVNCCtrl::CxVNCCtrl()
{
        InitializeIIDs(&IID_DeeVNC, &IID_DeeVNCEvents);
        // TODO: Initialize your control's instance data here.
        WinVNCAppMain();
}

class

backed up & built WinVNC as a .dll, exported WinMain, then called from the control, causes it to accept connections, but because resources are not properly exported yet, does not show desk tray icon. anyway i'd like to get this project into the repo, any advise there?

thanks

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?

Re: TightVNC ActiveX Control Development Starting

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello Oscar,

> backed up & built WinVNC as a .dll, exported WinMain, then called
> from the control, causes it to accept connections, but because
> resources are not properly exported yet, does not show desk tray
> icon. anyway i'd like to get this project into the repo, any advise
> there?

First, please send me the source code for some working version that
could be compiled and run.

Re: TightVNC ActiveX Control Development Starting

Oscar Usifer
makes sense, im working on it as often as my wife isn't screaming at me.

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?