TightVNC 1.3.9 Slackware 12.0 SPARC

Bugzilla from devel.sjanki@gmail.com
Hi,

I have been porting Slackware 12.0 to SPARC over the past few weeks
and would like to run TightVNC on it, just like I have it running on x86
and little-endian MIPS.

I'm running into the problem that TWM in TightVNC has each character
horizontally mirrored and KDE and Windowmaker don't even get so far
as to display anything, because Xvnc crashes before that.

This is probably an endianness issue so I would like to know how to fix
it or have someone do it instead. The same thing should be happening
on any other big-endian architecture such as PPC, MIPS(EB).

Regards,
Sunil

Re: TightVNC 1.3.9 Slackware 12.0 SPARC

Karl J. Runge wrote:
> I remember seeing something like this on Sun many years ago... not
> absolutely sure it is related to your problem:
>
>      http://www.realvnc.com/pipermail/vnc-list/2002-November/034630.html
>
> Sorry if that version it too old... but on unix there are some very
> old versions still floating around.
>
> Karl

The operating system is the very newest release of Slackware Linux,
that came out on July 1st, which includes Xorg 7.2 and I have almost
finished recompiling it for SPARC (that is I am finishing KDE).

Gentoo/SPARC developers have seen the same thing, but it looks like
it still hasn't been solved:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=659234&group_id=14067&atid=114067

If I can help with anything I will very gladly do so but I am not so
well versed in the X Window System, particularly the monolithic version.

Sunil