Tight protocol documentation

J.J. Sestrich
Hello,

I have read and understand the RFB protocol (v3.3-8) fully.

I am looking to understand exactly what the TightVNC server sends out, and which encodings etc. are optimal for it to perform at its best. Is there a place where this is documented that I have not been able to find? If not would anyone be helpful enough to point out significant portions of the protocol, or sections of code that would be worth reading to understand the protocol side of things.

I'm am mostly interested from the perspective of trying to write my own tight vnc client for learning purposes.

Thank you,
J.J.

Re: Tight protocol documentation

> I am looking to understand exactly what the TightVNC server sends
> out, and which encodings etc. are optimal for it to perform at its
> best. Is there a place where this is documented that I have not been
> able to find? If not would anyone be helpful enough to point out
> significant portions of the protocol, or sections of code that would
> be worth reading to understand the protocol side of things.

TightVNC extensions of the RFB protocol are documented in the rfbproto.h
source file. You can see it here:

http://vnc-tight.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/vnc-tight/orig/trunk/vnc_unixsrc/include/rfbproto.h?revision=2140&view=markup