Tight VNC on Windows 7 Inoperative from outside the router

Tight VNC on Windows 7 Inoperative from outside the router

GBear

I love Tight VNC.  But I am unable to connect to the Tight VNC Server (Service) from outside my router.  I can connect from computers inside my router.

I’m using v2.7.10 64bit.  My router firewall Access Rules, open up port (7141), and port forward that port to my internal ip .141.  When I was using XP, this worked fine, and I could connect to that VNC server from computers both inside my router, as well as outside using my public IP address port forwarded to my XP machine.  I could then connect to my windows 7 machines with a viewer on my XP machine.  Now that I am not using an XP machine this is no longer an option.

I replaced the XP machine (ip .141) with a windows 7 machine with the same IP.

I receive the error “Error in TightVNC Viewer: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time or stablished connection failed because connected host has failed to respond”

This error usually means that I cannot see the VNC server through the network.  I have turned off the windows firewall, and set the network sharing settings to be completely open (that is public file sharing and network discovery set to on).

My router access log shows connection accepted.

It appears Windows 7 is doing something differently with networking from XP, but I am unable to determine what.

I thought I understood networking well, but this one has me stumped.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

GBear

Re: Tight VNC on Windows 7 Inoperative from outside the router

John Serink
Make sure the gateway on the windows 7 machine is correctly set.
You can turn the firewall back on, TVNC will have installed a rule at tcp 5900 to allow the connection.

I am assuming you are using the default port of 5900.

Also, are you MAC address filtering on you router from the inside?

Cheers
John

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
[...]

image001.gif (100 bytes) Download Attachment