Textpad windows not showing

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Textpad windows not showing

Bob McConnell
I am running TightVNC Server 1.3.9 on WinXP Pro. On the other end I have
the matching viewer on Win98SE. I use Putty to provide a secure tunnel
between the two sites.

When running TextPad 4 under the server, the pop up windows for search
and replace do not show up at the viewer. I can hit ESC to release them
and get the cursor back, but cannot use those windows. Is this a known
problem and is there a fix or workaround for it?

Thank you,

Bob McConnell
Principal Communications Programmer
The CBORD Group, Inc.
61 Brown Road
Ithaca NY, 14850
Phone 607 257-2410
FAX 607 257-1902
Email [hidden email]
Web www.cbord.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;164216239;13503038;w?http://sf.net/marketplace
___________________________________________________________
TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Textpad windows not showing

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello Bob,

>>>>> Bob McConnell wrote:

> When running TextPad 4 under the server, the pop up windows for search
> and replace do not show up at the viewer. I can hit ESC to release them
> and get the cursor back, but cannot use those windows. Is this a known
> problem and is there a fix or workaround for it?

For reliable screen updates in all cases, use one of the two methods:

  1. Install mirror display driver (there is a link on the TightVNC
     download page).

  2. Select "Poll full screen" in Properties / Hooks.

Next version should have improved update detection that would not
require any workarounds.

--
With Best Wishes,
Constantin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;164216239;13503038;w?http://sf.net/marketplace
___________________________________________________________
TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Textpad windows not showing

Bob McConnell
I already have the Poll full screen option turned on. That didn't have
any affect on the problem. Looks like the mirror driver is the next
step.

I have also tried this with a server on Win2K Pro and the client on XP
Pro with the same results.

Thank you,

Bob McConnell

-----Original Message-----
From: Constantin Kaplinsky [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:30 PM
To: Bob McConnell
Cc: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Textpad windows not showing

Hello Bob,

>>>>> Bob McConnell wrote:

> When running TextPad 4 under the server, the pop up windows for search
> and replace do not show up at the viewer. I can hit ESC to release
them
> and get the cursor back, but cannot use those windows. Is this a known
> problem and is there a fix or workaround for it?

For reliable screen updates in all cases, use one of the two methods:

  1. Install mirror display driver (there is a link on the TightVNC
     download page).

  2. Select "Poll full screen" in Properties / Hooks.

Next version should have improved update detection that would not
require any workarounds.

--
With Best Wishes,
Constantin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;164216239;13503038;w?http://sf.net/marketplace
___________________________________________________________
TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Textpad windows not showing

James Weatherall
Hi Bob,

It sounds like the TextPad windows in question may be "layered", causing
them to be handled outside the main display buffer.  The standard VNC 4
series server (see http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1) captures
layered windows by default, but VNC 3 series servers, and software based on
them, such as TightVNC server, do not.

Const, do recent TightVNC releases provide alpha-blended (layered) window
capture?

--
Wez @ RealVNC Ltd
 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email]
> [mailto:[hidden email]] On
> Behalf Of Bob McConnell
> Sent: 11 January 2008 13:31
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: RE: Textpad windows not showing
>
> I already have the Poll full screen option turned on. That
> didn't have any affect on the problem. Looks like the mirror
> driver is the next step.
>
> I have also tried this with a server on Win2K Pro and the
> client on XP Pro with the same results.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bob McConnell
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Constantin Kaplinsky [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:30 PM
> To: Bob McConnell
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Textpad windows not showing
>
> Hello Bob,
>
> >>>>> Bob McConnell wrote:
>
> > When running TextPad 4 under the server, the pop up windows
> for search
> > and replace do not show up at the viewer. I can hit ESC to release
> them
> > and get the cursor back, but cannot use those windows. Is
> this a known
> > problem and is there a fix or workaround for it?
>
> For reliable screen updates in all cases, use one of the two methods:
>
>   1. Install mirror display driver (there is a link on the TightVNC
>      download page).
>
>   2. Select "Poll full screen" in Properties / Hooks.
>
> Next version should have improved update detection that would
> not require any workarounds.
>
> --
> With Best Wishes,
> Constantin
>
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> -----------
> Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
> It's the best place to buy or sell services for just about
> anything Open Source.
> http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;164216239;13503038;w?http://sf.n
> et/marketplace
> ___________________________________________________________
> TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
> To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list
>


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;164216239;13503038;w?http://sf.net/marketplace
___________________________________________________________
TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Textpad windows not showing

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello Bob,

>>>>> James Weatherall wrote:

> It sounds like the TextPad windows in question may be "layered",
> causing them to be handled outside the main display buffer.  The
> standard VNC 4 series server (see
> http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1) captures layered windows by
> default, but VNC 3 series servers, and software based on them, such
> as TightVNC server, do not.

Fortunately, that's not true.

Unlike VNC 3 server series, and unlike VNC 4 free edition, TightVNC can
use mirror display driver for capturing pixel data, and that includes
contents of layered windows. The option "Enable direct access to display
driver's mirror screen" should be on (which is the default).

This method (direct access to the driver's screen) does not only
capture layered windows, but also it can notably improve TightVNC
Server's performance.

The link to the DFMirage mirror display driver is at the end of the
TightVNC download page:

  http://www.tightvnc.com/download.html

--
With Best Wishes,
Constantin

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;164216239;13503038;w?http://sf.net/marketplace
___________________________________________________________
TightVNC mailing list, [hidden email]
To change your subscription or to UNSUBSCRIBE, please visit
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/vnc-tight-list