TVNC V1.39-r1

John Serink
Hi All:

Couple of questions:
1. When running a viewer from a windows XP box, I can copy files back
and forth. When using a viewer from a Linux desktop I can't do that. Is
there a way to do that?
2. can I specify the password for a session on the command line of the
shorcut?
3. is there a way to get Linux to allow me to PASTE the password into
the password field of the viewer like windows can do?

Cheers,
john

John Edward Serink
Product Applications Engineer,
Infrastructure Systems
Trimble Navigation Singapore PTE Ltd.
80 Marine Parade Road,
Co. Reg. No. 199204958W
#22-06 Parkway Parade
Singapore 449269
Tel 65-6348-2212
Fax 65-6348-2232
DID 65-6348-2178
HP  65-9129-4250

Re: TVNC V1.39-r1

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello John,

> 1. When running a viewer from a windows XP box, I can copy files back
> and forth. When using a viewer from a Linux desktop I can't do that. Is
> there a way to do that?

No, sorry, current version of the Unix/Linux does not support file
transfers. We'll work on this in the future.

> 2. can I specify the password for a session on the command line of the
> shorcut?

No, but there are other ways to automate connections with stored
password. The Windows viewer supports saving passwords in .vnc files
(-config command-line option). The Unix viewer supports -passwd option
that reads a password from a file created with vncpasswd utility.

> 3. is there a way to get Linux to allow me to PASTE the password into
> the password field of the viewer like windows can do?

Not sure. Linux provides different methods for copy-paste operations
(selections, clipboards etc.), maybe something could be made to work
in this case (actually, I'm not an expert in X Window System).

Re: TVNC V1.39-r1

Adam Tkac
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 01:12:32AM +0600, Constantin Kaplinsky wrote:

> Hello John,

> > 1. When running a viewer from a windows XP box, I can copy files back
> > and forth. When using a viewer from a Linux desktop I can't do that. Is
> > there a way to do that?
>
> No, sorry, current version of the Unix/Linux does not support file
> transfers. We'll work on this in the future.
>
> > 2. can I specify the password for a session on the command line of the
> > shorcut?

I created such patch some time ago and we have it in our RH CVS. It is
pretty simple and adds passwdInput option. So if you specify it
vncviewer reads passwd from standard input so you can automatically
start viewer from script etc. I'm going to send it here when I revise it.

> No, but there are other ways to automate connections with stored
> password. The Windows viewer supports saving passwords in .vnc files
> (-config command-line option). The Unix viewer supports -passwd option
> that reads a password from a file created with vncpasswd utility.
>
> > 3. is there a way to get Linux to allow me to PASTE the password into
> > the password field of the viewer like windows can do?
>
> Not sure. Linux provides different methods for copy-paste operations
> (selections, clipboards etc.), maybe something could be made to work
> in this case (actually, I'm not an expert in X Window System).

Unix vncviewer has pretty poor functionality. I think main problem is
that vncviewer uses low-level libX11 library for widgets
and copy & paste operation needs some additional code in viewer which
currently missing. I'm feel free to review proposed patch for this
functionality but I don't have time to create it yet. You can look on
http://www.gnome.org/projects/vinagre/ which is far more user friendly
viewer and should satisfy your demands.

Adam

--