Some Windows Cause Strange Lockup in Windows 7

Some Windows Cause Strange Lockup in Windows 7

Andrew Crawford-4
Greetings,

I recently started having an odd problem with TightVNC on Windows 7
Professional 64-bit (on both ends).  I am running the current release
(2.0.3).  I am running in Application Mode (not as a service) on the
server end.

I can connect to the remote machine and operate it as expected, up to
the point where I open certain windows.  At that point, the remote
system stops responding correctly.  I cannot click anything and, though
on my viewer, my cursor appears to follow the dot around the screen, on
the server side, the cursor does not move at all.

It doesn't happen with everything, just certain things and, it appears
to be fairly consistent.  For instance, it happens if I open the
Advanced System Properties window (Start, right-click on Computer,
choose Properties, then Advanced System Settings).  It also happens with
the Computer Management window, Device Manager and the Event Viewer.

It does not happen with printer properties and a number of other things.

The user on the server can continue clicking things and, the screen on
the viewer is updated (i.e., I can tell someone what I want clicked over
the phone and watch what happens).  If someone closes the problem window
locally on the server, control is restored on the viewer.

I tested with two completely different Windows 7 machines on the server
and viewer ends (one with nothing but patches and TightVNC installed)
and, with a Mac (using Chicken of the VNC) on the viewer end, all with
the same results.

Windows XP on the server side and Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on the
viewer side works fine (i.e., does not have the problem).

I was not able to find any other descriptions of this issue.  So, I am
not sure if this is something idiosyncratic that I am doing or, if it is
a TightVNC bug others have not noticed.

Has anyone seen this?  Anyone have a fix?  Can anyone repro?

Best,

--
Andrew Crawford

Re: Some Windows Cause Strange Lockup in Windows 7

Arfin Greebly

Andrew,

I'm familiar with the character of this phenomenon from my PcAnywhere
days.

Certain "privileged" system level windows (like the task manager or
similar things) would not only fail to respond, but also fail to display
on the remote machine.  The host-side user could handle the dialog, and
control would resume as usual, but for those specific dialogs no remote
interaction was possible.

I've not had this problem with VNC, but if Windows 7 is where it's
happening, I may be able to replicate it, as I have a couple of Win7 boxes
at home.

I'll give it a stab and see if the same window access denial happens
there.

~~ Garry

----- On Tue, 21 Jun 2011, Andrew Crawford wrote: -----

> Greetings,
>
> I recently started having an odd problem with TightVNC on Windows 7
> Professional 64-bit (on both ends).  I am running the current release
> (2.0.3).  I am running in Application Mode (not as a service) on the
> server end.
>
> I can connect to the remote machine and operate it as expected, up to
> the point where I open certain windows.  At that point, the remote
> system stops responding correctly.  I cannot click anything and, though
> on my viewer, my cursor appears to follow the dot around the screen, on
> the server side, the cursor does not move at all.
>
> It doesn't happen with everything, just certain things and, it appears
> to be fairly consistent.  For instance, it happens if I open the
> Advanced System Properties window (Start, right-click on Computer,
> choose Properties, then Advanced System Settings).  It also happens with
> the Computer Management window, Device Manager and the Event Viewer.
>
> It does not happen with printer properties and a number of other things.
>
> The user on the server can continue clicking things and, the screen on
> the viewer is updated (i.e., I can tell someone what I want clicked over
> the phone and watch what happens).  If someone closes the problem window
> locally on the server, control is restored on the viewer.
>
> I tested with two completely different Windows 7 machines on the server
> and viewer ends (one with nothing but patches and TightVNC installed)
> and, with a Mac (using Chicken of the VNC) on the viewer end, all with
> the same results.
>
> Windows XP on the server side and Windows 7 Professional 64-bit on the
> viewer side works fine (i.e., does not have the problem).
>
> I was not able to find any other descriptions of this issue.  So, I am
> not sure if this is something idiosyncratic that I am doing or, if it is
> a TightVNC bug others have not noticed.
>
> Has anyone seen this?  Anyone have a fix?  Can anyone repro?
>
> Best,
>
> --
> Andrew Crawford

Re: Some Windows Cause Strange Lockup in Windows 7

Marco Gaiarin
Mandi! Arfin Greebly
  In chel di` si favelave...

> Certain "privileged" system level windows (like the task manager or
> similar things) would not only fail to respond, but also fail to display
> on the remote machine.  The host-side user could handle the dialog, and
> control would resume as usual, but for those specific dialogs no remote
> interaction was possible.

Some Antivirus solution installed?!

Some AV, i've noted my Kaspersky, interfere with TightVNC as you say;
kaspersky come with exclusions rules for UltraVNC, but clearly it is
easy to add the TightVNC ones.

--
dott. Marco Gaiarin    GNUPG Key ID: 240A3D66
  Associazione ``La Nostra Famiglia''                http://www.sv.lnf.it/

           http://www.lanostrafamiglia.it/chi_siamo/5xmille.php

RE: Some Windows Cause Strange Lockup in Windows 7

MosheHelp PC Support
Try to connect to tightvnc Server on windows 7 as SERVICE

Re: Some Windows Cause Strange Lockup in Windows 7

Hello Andrew,

> I recently started having an odd problem with TightVNC on Windows 7
> Professional 64-bit (on both ends).  I am running the current release
> (2.0.3).  I am running in Application Mode (not as a service) on the
> server end.
>
> I can connect to the remote machine and operate it as expected, up to
> the point where I open certain windows.  At that point, the remote
> system stops responding correctly.  I cannot click anything and, though
> on my viewer, my cursor appears to follow the dot around the screen, on
> the server side, the cursor does not move at all.

If I remember correctly, this is due to UIPI security feature of Windows
appeared in Windows Vista. Here is a quote from MSDN:

  User Interface Privilege Isolation (UIPI) is one of the mechanisms
  that help isolate applications running as a full administrator from
  processes running as an account lower than an administrator on the
  same interactive desktop. UIPI is specific to the windowing and
  graphics subsystem known as USER that supports windows and user
  interface controls. UIPI prevents a lower privilege application from
  using Windows messages to send input from one process to a higher
  privilege process.

There is only one reliable solution: always use TightVNC as a service in
Windows Vista and Windows 7.

Alternatively, try to experiment with turning off UAC and running
TightVNC with administrative privileges. However, I would not recommend
doing either of that -- the service mode is the only correct solution.

--
Best Regards,
Constantin Kaplinsky

Re: Some Windows Cause Strange Lockup in Windows 7

Andrew Crawford-4
Just following up on this very old thread, having run into this issue
again working with Windows 8.1.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a good solution for this.

If I run TightVNC as a service, I can connect and, it does work
correctly, allowing interaction with all windows.

However, it does not seem to be possible to create a reverse connection
using the service.  The appropriate command line:

tvnserver -controlservice -connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

... just fails silently without connecting.  Is this supposed to work?
Or have I found a bug?

Setting tvnserver.exe to run as administrator causes additional UAC
prompts but, does not change the behavior.

Turning off UAC does not change the behavior.

I also fiddled with the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit a
bit to no avail.

--
Andrew Crawford

On 6/23/11 2:54 AM, Constantin Kaplinsky wrote:

> Hello Andrew,

>> I recently started having an odd problem with TightVNC on Windows 7
>> Professional 64-bit (on both ends).  I am running the current release
>> (2.0.3).  I am running in Application Mode (not as a service) on the
>> server end.
>>
>> I can connect to the remote machine and operate it as expected, up to
>> the point where I open certain windows.  At that point, the remote
>> system stops responding correctly.  I cannot click anything and, though
>> on my viewer, my cursor appears to follow the dot around the screen, on
>> the server side, the cursor does not move at all.
>
> If I remember correctly, this is due to UIPI security feature of Windows
> appeared in Windows Vista. Here is a quote from MSDN:
>
>   User Interface Privilege Isolation (UIPI) is one of the mechanisms
>   that help isolate applications running as a full administrator from
>   processes running as an account lower than an administrator on the
>   same interactive desktop. UIPI is specific to the windowing and
>   graphics subsystem known as USER that supports windows and user
>   interface controls. UIPI prevents a lower privilege application from
>   using Windows messages to send input from one process to a higher
>   privilege process.
>
> There is only one reliable solution: always use TightVNC as a service in
> Windows Vista and Windows 7.
>
> Alternatively, try to experiment with turning off UAC and running
> TightVNC with administrative privileges. However, I would not recommend
> doing either of that -- the service mode is the only correct solution.

Re: Some Windows Cause Strange Lockup in Windows 7

John Serink
‎Did you open up an outgoing firewall rule?

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.
Just following up on this very old thread, having run into this issue
again working with Windows 8.1.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a good solution for this.

If I run TightVNC as a service, I can connect and, it does work
correctly, allowing interaction with all windows.

However, it does not seem to be possible to create a reverse connection
using the service.  The appropriate command line:

tvnserver -controlservice -connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

... just fails silently without connecting.  Is this supposed to work?
Or have I found a bug?

Setting tvnserver.exe to run as administrator causes additional UAC
prompts but, does not change the behavior.

Turning off UAC does not change the behavior.

I also fiddled with the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit a
bit to no avail.

--
Andrew Crawford

On 6/23/11 2:54 AM, Constantin Kaplinsky wrote:

> Hello Andrew,

>> I recently started having an odd problem with TightVNC on Windows 7
>> Professional 64-bit (on both ends).  I am running the current release
>> (2.0.3).  I am running in Application Mode (not as a service) on the
>> server end.
>>
>> I can connect to the remote machine and operate it as expected, up to
>> the point where I open certain windows.  At that point, the remote
>> system stops responding correctly.  I cannot click anything and, though
>> on my viewer, my cursor appears to follow the dot around the screen, on
>> the server side, the cursor does not move at all.
>
> If I remember correctly, this is due to UIPI security feature of Windows
> appeared in Windows Vista. Here is a quote from MSDN:
>
>   User Interface Privilege Isolation (UIPI) is one of the mechanisms
>   that help isolate applications running as a full administrator from
>   processes running as an account lower than an administrator on the
>   same interactive desktop. UIPI is specific to the windowing and
>   graphics subsystem known as USER that supports windows and user
>   interface controls. UIPI prevents a lower privilege application from
>   using Windows messages to send input from one process to a higher
>   privilege process.
>
> There is only one reliable solution: always use TightVNC as a service in
> Windows Vista and Windows 7.
>
> Alternatively, try to experiment with turning off UAC and running
> TightVNC with administrative privileges. However, I would not recommend
> doing either of that -- the service mode is the only correct solution.

Re: Some Windows Cause Strange Lockup in Windows 7

Andrew Crawford-4
Yes.  I tried both adding an exception for tvnserver and turning Windows
Firewall off entirely. In neither case did it change the behavior (for
creating reverse connections with the service).

--
Andrew Crawford