Slow when accessing computer on same netwrok

Slow when accessing computer on same netwrok

Mark Kolber-2
Hi,

I'm new to TightVNC. I tried to search for my issue
but was unsuccessful.

Here's the situation. I am on a Linksys wireless home
network with three computers - two desktops and a
laptop. The server is loaded on the desktops with only
the viewer used on the laptop. Access from the laptop
is typically remote - while traveling for example, and
speed is not an issue.

But. If I am at home sitting in my livingroom with the
laptop and try to access one of the desktops
"remotely," the response is unusably slow.

This is for illustration: My workplace computer has
the viewer loaded as well, but is accessed via Windows
Desktop Connection. So, to see what would happen, from
my livingroom, I connected to my office computer with
the laptop. From my remote office desktop I loaded the
TightVNC viewer to connect to the home desktop and it
worked fine - a little slower, which I expected, but
still very usable, despite going through two remote
connections.

IOW, connecting from my livingromm laptop to my
desktop upstairs was about 70-100 times slower going
direct than going using my workplace computer as an
intermediary.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior? Any suggestions
on getting around it (other than my little
experiment)?

BTW, this in not only a "Tight" issue. I found the
same behavior with RealVNC.

Thanks.

-
Mark

Sent by ePrompter, the premier email notification
software.

RE: Slow when accessing computer on same netwrok

Bob McConnell
[...]

-------------------------

Hi Mark,

What IP address do you use when you connect at home, the local address
of your desktops, or the external address of your ISP connection you use
when on the road? You may be routing that connection out to your ISP and
back if you don't change the viewer configuration to connect directly to
your local VNC servers.

Bob McConnell
Principal Communications Programmer
The CBORD Group, Inc.