Server 2003 <-> Win2000 Server Ach.

Dave Killip
Regret such a simple issue, and appreciate any kind help to sort out
this problem viewing a VNCserver on a win2003 server box.  Usually this
program has run flawlessly for me on various architectures...
    I have recently set up a 64bit test machine and have Win2003 Server
(all service packs) running.  I have a long-suffering Win2000 Server
Test box running as well.  Usually, I have great results using Tight VNC
Server/ Viewer from the latter to anything I want to manage, test.
    Setting up the latest version of the Tight VNC server on the 64bit
test machine (no firewall in place for purposes of this test) has caused
me problems.  I have installed both the newest downloadable version and
tried both with/and without the new video display system installed.  I
have the same problem:

Using both old and current TightVNC viewers:
                         I can connect to the server.
                         I get the desktop displayed
                         After the first display the TightVNC Viewer
never refreshes
                         Looking at the Tight VNC Server on the Win2003
64 bit box, I see
                                  mouse movement
                                  results of clicks and keystrokes
                         Looking at the 'remote' viewer I see a stuck
frame of the desktop
                         The desktop never refreshes.
I have tried both with- and without the new video system offered for
download with the Tight VNC page.  Same result.
      Thanks for any help possible

Dk

RE: Server 2003 <-> Win2000 Server Ach.

Van Sickler, Jim-2
Try turning down/off the video acceleration on the Win2003 box.

Van Sickler, Jim wrote:

>Try turning down/off the video acceleration on the Win2003 box.

Many thanks for the useful suggestions as to this problem and also
general security, which I have taken to heart. This test system is being
run on an internal LAN, will make appropriate redeaux soon as I get
things going.
    Unfortunately, neither the win2003 server with TightVNC server, nor
the client Win2K machine has hardware acceleration enabled.  When I
connect, I get a fine screen, but the first thing I do (open a window,
close one, start a pgm...)  freezes on the TightVNC viewer screen.  I
can see, by looking at the other machne's monitor, that the mouse is
still moving and active, and in fact the Tight VNC server is working
fine... I simply can not see it on the 'remote' machine.
    I've tried with both the older model viewer and the newest one, and
both mainfest the same way.
Is there some problem in using a 64bit machine???
Sorry for the second querey and thanks for the rapid reply to my
original request for help.
Dave K

RE: Server 2003 <-> Win2000 Server Ach.

Van Sickler, Jim-2
Dave,

What type of video card is installed in the server?

Is it onboard the motherboard?

What version driver is running?

What resolution are you running on the server?

What type of video card is installed in the win2k box?

Is it onboard the motherboard?

What version driver is running?

What resolution are you running on the win2k box?

What format and encoding settings are you using
on the win2k box?

I don't have any experience with 64-bit boxen,
so I can't comment as to whether that may be an issue.