Running vncserver with passwd file in /tmp/$USER-vnc/

Running vncserver with passwd file in /tmp/$USER-vnc/

James Mohr-9
Hi All!

I have a SUSE 10 system which came with tightvnc-1.2.9-186. I run vncpasswd -t
and it creates a password file under /tmp/$USER-vnc/.

When I connect with a Windows XP client , there is a place in the client
window for the user name. However, it is not writeable and I cannot figure a
way to make it so. It seems that whatever user starts the VNC server is the
user. I looked through the vncserver script and uncommented the line

$vncUserDir = "/tmp/$ENV{USER}-vnc";

but that did not seem to have any effect. I Looked through the documenation
and FAQ, but found nothing relling me how to active this field. What I would
like to do is configure VNC so that you are prompted for a user and password,
independent of which user actually starts the vncserver.

Any help would be appreaciated.

Regards,

jimmo

Re: Running vncserver with passwd file in /tmp/$USER-vnc/

Constantin Kaplinsky
Hello James,

> When I connect with a Windows XP client , there is a place in the
> client window for the user name. However, it is not writeable and I
> cannot figure a way to make it so. It seems that whatever user starts
> the VNC server is the user.

Correct, the user is always the one who started Xvnc.

The user name field is always disabled, because the standard VNC
authentication does not support user names. That username/password
dialog window was made for alternative authentication methods. However,
current public version of TightVNC includes only the standard VNC
authentication.

> What I would like to do is configure VNC so that you are prompted for
> a user and password, independent of which user actually starts the
> vncserver.

That could be possible only if Xvnc would be started by root. However,
Xvnc is not a program that should be ever running with root privileges.