Restricting network interfaces

Bob McConnell
I have been trying to search the list archives for answers to some
questions, but Sourceforge is returning "Unable to connect to Search
Server".

I have multiple NICs and VMware installed on XPPro which creates a total
of six network connections, three real and three virtual. I need to
limit the TightVNC server to only one of the those connections, but
cannot find where to tell it which one to use. Currently it shows that
it will allow connections on all six.

Where do I fix that?

Bob McConnell
Principal Communications Programmer
The CBORD Group, Inc.
61 Brown Road
Ithaca NY, 14850
Phone 607 257-2410
FAX 607 257-1902
Email [hidden email]
Web www.cbord.com

Re: Restricting network interfaces

Per Gunnar Hansø-2
Hi Bob!

Bob McConnell wrote:

> I have been trying to search the list archives for answers to some
> questions, but Sourceforge is returning "Unable to connect to Search
> Server".
>
> I have multiple NICs and VMware installed on XPPro which creates a total
> of six network connections, three real and three virtual. I need to
> limit the TightVNC server to only one of the those connections, but
> cannot find where to tell it which one to use. Currently it shows that
> it will allow connections on all six.
>
> Where do I fix that?

I haven't found a solution to that in TightVNC itself, but here's my
solution.

1) Specify that TightVNC should bind to 127.0.0.1 (accept local
connections only).
2) Set up port forwarding from the interface(s) you want TightVNC on and
to localhost port 5900.

As you use Windows and not Linux, you don't have iptables, but I'm sure
you can find a port forwarding program. I've seen another using
something named Autapf or something, but I haven't used it myself.

Good luck :)

Best regards,
Per Gunnar Hansø

[snip]