Re: applet: missing required permissions mainfest attribute in main jar

Re: applet: missing required permissions mainfest attribute in main jar

PCMD Web Master
Is a fix for this imminent as it is now May and this was reported in Feb.

Re: applet: missing required permissions mainfest attribute in main jar

Walrusaurus
I'm also curious if this is still a planned fix? Java security settings block the java viewer entirely under default settings, due to the missing required permissions manifest attribute. The warning messages for allowing it run are a deterrent for client machines.

Re: applet: missing required permissions mainfest attribute in main jar

Walrusaurus
actually, this was surprisingly easy to fix myself. takes about two minutes.

If anyone is keen to know send me an e-mail and I'll outline the few steps.

TightVNC receiving - Application Blocked by Java Security

mkrause
Hi, I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  We are running TightVNC 2.0 with 100+ users.  After upgrading to Java version 8, I am no longer able to connect to users's workstations.  How can this be corrected?  There is no Medium option under security settings anymore. I've also tried updating TightVNC to version 2.7 but that does not correct the issue.

Thanks

message I receive when attempting to connect to another workstation

Re: TightVNC receiving - Application Blocked by Java Security

mkrause
I should have explained I connect via web page. http://(computer name):5800.  If I open the viewer directly I am able to connect that way but we are used to using the web to connect so if I can get that working again that would be great. Thanks

Re: TightVNC receiving - Application Blocked by Java Security

Aaron Mason
Hi

In order for this to work from Java 8 onwards until the Permissions
attribute is added to the manifest in a later version, you'll need to
add the host in question to a list of exceptions under the Security
tab of the Java Control Panel.

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 4:21 AM, mkrause <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  We are running
> TightVNC 2.0 with 100+ users.  After upgrading to Java version 8, I am no
> longer able to connect to users's workstations.  How can this be corrected?
> There is no Medium option under security settings anymore. I've also tried
> updating TightVNC to version 2.7 but that does not correct the issue.
>
> Thanks
>
> <http://tightvnc.10971.n7.nabble.com/file/n3903/tightvnc_error.jpg>

Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse

Re: TightVNC receiving - Application Blocked by Java Security

Aaron Mason
Just read that you're administering 100+ workstations.  Clearly adding
all of them to exceptions isn't going to be ideal.

I get around this at my workplace (200+ workstations) with a web page
I wrote that lists all computers from AD and a link that opens the
applet.  You'll need to copy in the jar file and set up the
configuration.  Once done, add the site in question (even if it's
hosted on your machine) to the exceptions list.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Aaron Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> In order for this to work from Java 8 onwards until the Permissions
> attribute is added to the manifest in a later version, you'll need to
> add the host in question to a list of exceptions under the Security
> tab of the Java Control Panel.
>
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 4:21 AM, mkrause <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi, I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  We are running
>> TightVNC 2.0 with 100+ users.  After upgrading to Java version 8, I am no
>> longer able to connect to users's workstations.  How can this be corrected?
>> There is no Medium option under security settings anymore. I've also tried
>> updating TightVNC to version 2.7 but that does not correct the issue.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> <http://tightvnc.10971.n7.nabble.com/file/n3903/tightvnc_error.jpg>
>>

>> --

> Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
> I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse

--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse

RE: TightVNC receiving - Application Blocked by Java Security

mkrause

I figured out it works if I use the TightVNC software instead of using the browser to connect to workstations. So all is good now. Thanks!

Just read that you're administering 100+ workstations.  Clearly adding
all of them to exceptions isn't going to be ideal.

I get around this at my workplace (200+ workstations) with a web page
I wrote that lists all computers from AD and a link that opens the
applet.  You'll need to copy in the jar file and set up the
configuration.  Once done, add the site in question (even if it's
hosted on your machine) to the exceptions list.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Aaron Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> In order for this to work from Java 8 onwards until the Permissions
> attribute is added to the manifest in a later version, you'll need to
> add the host in question to a list of exceptions under the Security
> tab of the Java Control Panel.
>
> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 4:21 AM, mkrause <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi, I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  We are running
>> TightVNC 2.0 with 100+ users.  After upgrading to Java version 8, I am no
>> longer able to connect to users's workstations.  How can this be corrected?
>> There is no Medium option under security settings anymore. I've also tried
>> updating TightVNC to version 2.7 but that does not correct the issue.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> <http://tightvnc.10971.n7.nabble.com/file/n3903/tightvnc_error.jpg>
>>

>> --

> Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
> I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse

--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse

http://tightvnc.10971.n7.nabble.com/Re-applet-missing-required-permissions-mainfest-attribute-in-main-jar-tp3809p3921.html

To unsubscribe from Re: applet: missing required permissions mainfest attribute in main jar, click here.
NAML