Re: Tight VNC Viewer - Error creating local image of screen.

Re: Tight VNC Viewer - Error creating local image of screen.

> I recently installed Tight VNC 1.3.9 on Suse SLES 9. I am able to
> connect to the server with Real VNC Viewer E4.2.7, but am unable to
> do so with Tight VNC Viewer 1.3.9. I get a black screen and an error
> Window - "Error creating local image of screen."

This is an error the Windows viewer shows when CreateCompatibleBitmap()
function fails for some reasons. I guess the reason may be some
non-standard screen mode or buggy video driver.

Does changing display resolution or color depth take any effect?

Re: Tight VNC Viewer - Error creating local image of screen.

Wade Dugas
Hi Constantin,

Thanks for your help.

I have an ATI MOBILITY FireGL V5200 graphics card running Driver Packaging Version 8.353.1.1-070508a-047760C-ATI . This is the latest driver.

On occasion the TightVNC viewer does work, but I can close it and then re-open it without changing any settings and I get the black screen. I changed the color depth from 32 bit to 16 bit and now it seems to work consistently.

This still leaves a couple of questions. Why does the RealVNC viewer always work and in either color depth? Why did the TightVNC viewer work on rare occasions with 32 bit color depth?

Thanks,
Wade

On 7/3/07, Constantin Kaplinsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

> I recently installed Tight VNC 1.3.9 on Suse SLES 9. I am able to
> connect to the server with Real VNC Viewer E4.2.7, but am unable to
> do so with Tight VNC Viewer 1.3.9. I get a black screen and an error
> Window - "Error creating local image of screen."

This is an error the Windows viewer shows when CreateCompatibleBitmap()
function fails for some reasons. I guess the reason may be some
non-standard screen mode or buggy video driver.

Does changing display resolution or color depth take any effect?

RE: Tight VNC Viewer - Error creating local image of screen.

James Weatherall
Wade,

> This still leaves a couple of questions. Why does the RealVNC
> viewer always work and in either color depth?

The difference in behaviour between the two makes sense - the TightVNC
viewer is based on our VNC 3 series codebase, which used different screen
capture & rendering mechanisms to the standard VNC 4 series viewer.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd