Re: Protocol extension for changing desktop name on the fly

Re: Protocol extension for changing desktop name on the fly

astrand (Bugzilla)

I have a working implementation now, using a new pseudo encoding called
"DesktopName". It's pretty similiar to the existing "DesktopSize"
encoding.

However, it seems like RealVNC will not allocate an encoding number for my
new encoding. There position was that this should be a TightVNC-specific
protocol message. I have a different position, I want this new encoding to
be useful for all and any VNC project and implementation, regardless of if
they support the Tight extensions or not. Therefore, my opinion is that
the new "DesktopName" should be a separate encoding. Even though I have no
officially assigned number from RealVNC, I'm claiming one:

Number    Name
-306      DesktopName pseudo-encoding

Here's the description:

"A client which requests the DesktopName pseudo-encoding is declaring that
it is capable of coping with a change of the desktop name. The server
changes the desktop name by sending a pseudo-rectangle with the
DesktopName pseudo-encoding in an update. The pseudo-rectangle's
x-position, y-position, width, and height must be zero. After the
rectangle header, a string with the new name follows. "

Best regards,
Peter Åstrand

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Peter Åstrand wrote:

> I'd like to be able to change the desktop name on the fly so that a
> "vncconfig -set desktop=something" immediately changes the vncviewer
> window title.
>
> Currently, the desktop name (as specified by the -desktop option to
> Xvnc) remains static during the entire lifespan of the Xvnc
> process. If you change the name with "vncconfig -set" you can verify
> that it is correctly set with "vncconfig -get". However, vncviewers
> always shows the original name, even if you disconnect and
> reconnect. I guess this is bug which can be fixed fairly easily.
>
> As stated above, though, I'd like to have the desktop name updated
> even without reconnecting the viewer. Since the desktop name is set in
> the ServerInit message, I guess we need a new server to client message
> for updating the name?
---
Peter Åstrand ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB http://www.cendio.se
Wallenbergs gata 4
583 30 Linköping Phone: +46-13-21 46 00

RE: Protocol extension for changing desktop name on the fly

James Weatherall
Peter,

You may wish to check your email - you were allocated pseudo-encoding number -307 earlier this afternoon.

Please note, for future reference, that if you choose to unilaterally allocate yourself encoding numbers then your VNC-based software will no longer be VNC-compatible and your users will hit problems if they ever try to use it with standard VNC or VNC-compatible software.

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, James Weatherall wrote:

> You may wish to check your email - you were allocated pseudo-encoding
> number -307 earlier this afternoon.

This is excellent news. Thank you for your cooperation.

Rgds,
---
Peter Åstrand ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB http://www.cendio.se
Wallenbergs gata 4
583 30 Linköping Phone: +46-13-21 46 00

Re: Protocol extension for changing desktop name on the fly

Peter Rosin
On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 05:02:25PM +0100, Peter Åstrand wrote:
> Number    Name
> -306      DesktopName pseudo-encoding

Bzzzt -307 :-)

> Here's the description:
>
> "A client which requests the DesktopName pseudo-encoding is declaring that
> it is capable of coping with a change of the desktop name. The server
> changes the desktop name by sending a pseudo-rectangle with the
> DesktopName pseudo-encoding in an update. The pseudo-rectangle's
> x-position, y-position, width, and height must be zero. After the
> rectangle header, a string with the new name follows. "

There are more than one popular way to encode strings, which one have
you selected? U32 name-length followed by U8-array name-string as in
the ServerInitialisation message?

Cheers,
Peter

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Peter Rosin wrote:

> > "A client which requests the DesktopName pseudo-encoding is declaring that
> > it is capable of coping with a change of the desktop name. The server
> > changes the desktop name by sending a pseudo-rectangle with the
> > DesktopName pseudo-encoding in an update. The pseudo-rectangle's
> > x-position, y-position, width, and height must be zero. After the
> > rectangle header, a string with the new name follows. "
>
> There are more than one popular way to encode strings, which one have
> you selected? U32 name-length followed by U8-array name-string as in
> the ServerInitialisation message?
In VNC4-speak, I'm using InStream::readString. This is U32 name-length
plus U8 data.

What other kind of string encodings are used in VNC?

Btw, one thing that I miss somewhat is a character encoding definition.
Perhaps it's time to define that the desktop name should be encoded using
UTF-8...

Rgds,
---

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 08:13:04PM +0100, Peter Åstrand wrote:
> > There are more than one popular way to encode strings, which one have
> > you selected? U32 name-length followed by U8-array name-string as in
> > the ServerInitialisation message?
>
> In VNC4-speak, I'm using InStream::readString. This is U32 name-length
> plus U8 data.

Great.

> What other kind of string encodings are used in VNC?

None that I know of, but I meant in general. Since you didn't specify it,
I wanted to eliminate any new string encoding creeping in (like zero-
termination etc etc)

> Btw, one thing that I miss somewhat is a character encoding definition.
> Perhaps it's time to define that the desktop name should be encoded using
> UTF-8...

The ClientCutText and ServerCutText messages are specified to be Latin-1.

I think I'd rather have some pseudo-encoding to make all strings UTF-8.

Cheers,
Peter

RE: Protocol extension for changing desktop name on the fly

James Weatherall
Hi Peter,

In practice desktop names are currently ASCII-only, but new standard RFB protocol elements all use UTF-8 for string data.  I'd recommend that third-party encodings, etc also use UTF-8 for string data for consistency.

Cheers,

--
Wez @ RealVNC Ltd

[snip]

On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:20:50AM -0000, James Weatherall wrote:
> In practice desktop names are currently ASCII-only, but new standard RFB
> protocol elements all use UTF-8 for string data.  I'd recommend that
> third-party encodings, etc also use UTF-8 for string data for consistency.

So, Peter, did you settle for ASCII-only or did you change to UTF-8?

(I need to know so that my implementation is compatible)

Cheers,
Peter

Re: Protocol extension for changing desktop name on the fly

astrand (Bugzilla)
> On Tue, Jan 08, 2008 at 10:20:50AM -0000, James Weatherall wrote:
> > In practice desktop names are currently ASCII-only, but new standard RFB
> > protocol elements all use UTF-8 for string data.  I'd recommend that
> > third-party encodings, etc also use UTF-8 for string data for consistency.
>
> So, Peter, did you settle for ASCII-only or did you change to UTF-8?
>
> (I need to know so that my implementation is compatible)

Just like the current description of ServerInit, the description of
SetDesktopName currently doesn't specify any encoding. Also, I haven't
(yet) explicitly done anything UTF8:ish in the implementation.

I still believe that UTF8 is the way to go, though.

Regards,
---